28.03.2024, 11:26 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Vramin
Titel: Text after space not rendering until selected  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 14:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jul 2006

I searched a bit and came up dry, so I'm just going to ask. It's difficult to describe this one for the search engines and get useful results.

I have several machines with Kanotix hard disk installations on them, but I'm noticing an oddity on one of them. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but it seems like it was after a dist-upgrade, or after dicking with fonts in Firefox.

What's happening is that, when text is rendered in KDE, much of the time only the first word of a line is displayed - the text is there, if you select with the mouse (or hit ctrl-L in gvim) it will redraw it, but for some reason on the initial display it seems to stop after the frist space is rendered. At first I thought it was just Firefox acting flakey, but then I noticed it was going in every window.

I have reset all of my KDE settings to defaults, and I have reinstalled the nVidia drivers with the latest release, directly from the nVidia site, and using the nVidia/debian installation script in the Kanotix install. Nothing I have tried seems to affect it. I have not tried running an alternate window manager to see if it is KDE only.

This has only happened on this one installation, so I'm trying to figure out what's different about it, if there's anything I might have installed or uninstalled that would make it go haywire, but I can't seem to come up with anything. I try to keep them all very near the same config for simplicity's sake. The only apps I run with any frequency are the terminal shell, gvim, Firefox, and lately Quanta. This one has been running solid for quite some time. I could reinstall if have to, but I'd rather not.

I'm not at home to print out any of the specs, but if there is anything specific I could run to show pertinent settings, let me know and I'll do it when I get home this evening.

Any ideas would be welcomed. I just love my Kanotix installs. Kanotix has made it so much easier to set up a complete, maintainable Linux installation in the minimum amount of time.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
striatedspace
Titel: Text after space not rendering until selected  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 21:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Aug 2005

Hi,
same problem here with Firefox only, though. One of the last dist-upgrades produced this. I have tried Google on this but to no avail. Therefore I would be interested in any hints.
Cheers
striated

striatedspace
Titel: Text after space not rendering until selected  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 21:47 Uhr

Just to reassure you (and me): we are not the only ones with this problem, see German-speaking thread (with not solution, but screenshots) at http://tinyurl.com/rl5pr

h2
Titel: RE: Text after space not rendering until selected  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 22:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

did you do the dist-upgrade in kde, or in console? [init 3]. I haven't seen this issue on any install, but I do see kde oddities now and then when I accidentally install some kde library item when in kde.

striatedspace
Titel: RE: Text after space not rendering until selected  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 22:11 Uhr

Thanks, h2, but, no, my dist-upgrade was done via a remote shell with no xwindow/kde running

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 22:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

I had the same problems two days ago. There was a crash from kde after the d-u (in init 3) and I lost all my firefox settings after running fsck on my /home drive after a reboot. I just went through and adjusted all my settings back to 'normal' and haven't had any more problems.

drb

Vramin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.07.2006, 13:03 Uhr

Mine is misbehaving in Firefox and many other apps, including the system menus and configuration tools. I wish my German was better (or Google's at the very least Winken) because it looks like a couple of those guys made it work, but I guess I'm going to have to keep updating and see if the fix doesn't fall in place in one of these mornings. I tried turning off render acceleration for the nVidia and other things metioned in the other thread, but I'm still seeing the problem.

At least now I don't feel so all alone. Smilie

Vramin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 03:52 Uhr

This is an old topic, sorry I'm resurrecting it. I've been suffering with this problem the whole time.

Tonight I went into the control panel and set my default font to a nice, generic helvetica. Firefox was still not rendering right. I went into Firefox settings and changed the default font to helvetica (it was on some bitstream font for proportional). Still no love.

I went back into the Firefox settings and told it not to let the web sites override my font choice. Firefox renders like a champ now.

Why it stopped working in the first place I may never know, but at least I found a way around it.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 04:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Most sites use ms fonts like arial and verdana. Perhaps you don't have msttcorefonts installed? Just a thought.

AlexB
Titel: How to Fix FireFox  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 04:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Jun 2005

http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 06d#123230

in /etc/firefox/firefoxrc add this:
Code:
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1

Worked for me.

The rest of the system stopped working weird after changing the dpi and restarting Xserver.

Hope this helps.

slam
Titel: How to Fix FireFox  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 09:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Visit KDE-Control Center/Appearance/Fonts and de-activate anti-aliasing - apply.
Then activate it again - apply.
For all Gtk-Applications (Gimp, Synaptic, Inkscape, Gaim, ...) you may additional set your favorite font for menus in /home/username/..gtkrc-2.0.
Restart X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
Besides that you should install msttcorefonts, set you favorite fonts in KDE-Control Center, and in Firefox/Thunderbird Settings as well, as mentioned already above.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.