28.03.2024, 09:47 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
etorix
Titel: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 01:46 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 23. Dez 2003

ok, its here,seems ok
mostly

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
gardyloo
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 02:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

This is basically a caution. I dist-upgraded. Things seemed to go pretty fine. However, browsing in Firefox (1.5.0.4-3) is kind of wacky at the moment. Much text won't show up until the mouse cursor is positioned over it, and the layouts are borked. Just a warning!

piper
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 03:28 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Ok, I did 2 d-u's, one I dropped down to init 3 and it went smooth, fonts look horrible

The second one I used h2's script, again all went smooth, fonts look horrible Winken

I will work on fixing my fonts, otherwise very smooth for me (maybe not for everyone)

No problems with firefox (except fonts), themes and extensions work no problem so far

EDIT: I have been using tahoma fonts lately instead of my favorite, (freesans bold) what I did to fix the problem I had was to change fonts in firefox, close it, open it and change fonts again, close it, open it and everything is fine now Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 04:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Exercise caution, do not do this dist-upgrade, here are two screen shots of what is going wrong with gtk apps, all of them, including firefox, for some users, like me:

This is the 'help' -> 'about' item in gtkam:
bad gtk: http://techpatterns.com/images/web/gtkam.png
good gtk: http://techpatterns.com/images/web/gtkam-full.jpg

If this happens to you, every webpage you visit will look like the bad gtk shot, only first word of each line displays, per column. Very disconcerting.

kde stuff is alll working fine from what I can see so far.

h2
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 05:32 Uhr

I restored the box that had the broken gtk, then installed only the new libgtk2.0 stuff, to see what caused the gtk apps to fail, but with the new gtk libs and no new kde, the gtk apps are fine, so it looks like it might be some mixture of kde 3.5.4 and the new gtk stuff, or just kde 3.5.4 alone

h2
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 07:20 Uhr

solution from debian kde team for above issue:

Zitat:
you have to go in kcontrol
disable antialiased fonts
save
renable again and save
there was a bug in 3.5.3 that made kcontrol use a bad setting name in the config file
it's reverted in 3.5.4 but has that effect for /some/ 3.5.3 users

eco2geek
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 07:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
I didn't have the "disappearing text" issue, but the fonts in GTK apps were quite bitmappy after the upgrade. Setting sub-pixel hinting to Full took care of that.

h2
Titel: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 07:56 Uhr

resetting the antialiasing fix is apparently also taking care of the grainy fonts in gtk apps too, that's a very easy fix, so try that first if you see this issue.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 08:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

Thanks h2. Disappearing fonts back again as normal!

drb

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 09:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
I'll upgrade tonight, but before I do I have a question.
I don't have kcontrol centre on my box, so how do I go about (if necessary) disabling/enabling antialiasing fonts?
Thanks

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 11:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
KDE 3.5.4 seems to work great, still have disappearing fonts in synaptic, do not use firefox but mozilla, fonts were always great with it.

hubi

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 11:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

hubi, did you try unchecking / checking anti-aliasing fonts in control centre? This solved the Firefox problem and I don't appear to have any other problems in synaptic etc. etc.

drb

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 12:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Can anyone tell me if these fonts/gtk problems are confined to KDE? I'm usually in xfce.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 16:01 Uhr

There seems to be a reproducable problem with mountig as user (DVD, CD, USB-devices), I only get the following message by kio_media_mounthelper:
Zitat:
A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

Changing permissions in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf does not help in any way.

hubi

op4latino
Titel: Re: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 16:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
Zitat:
there was a bug in 3.5.3 that made kcontrol use a bad setting name in the config file

I wonder if someone could get the diff of the config file before and after doing that fix, and create a script applying that diff. In that way, we can avoid going back and forward in X

or can be this done with dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-conf ?

hubi
Titel: Re: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 16:50 Uhr

drb,
unfortunatelly, unchecking/checking AA did not help here (did it as root because of synaptic).

About mounting as user:
pmount and pumount are working.

hubi

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 21:14 Uhr

I can reproduce the mounting error.

the drive is recognized, but not mounted. Icon appears on desktop, mount option is present, but when tried that error message pops up.

Thanks for noticing that hubi, now to find the solution

hubi
Titel: RE: Re: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 22:24 Uhr

Just reported a bug against kdebase-kio-plugins 3.5.4-2. Think that's the candidate for the mounting problems.
hubi

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: KDE-3.5.4 is in :: exercise caution  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 22:34 Uhr

great, shouldn't be long for the solution.

Music cds etc seem to play fine though, since they aren't actually mounted. Only data type mounting isn't working.

captagon
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 22:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Feb 2005
If you like to mount the devices graphically, then you can take the filemanager of XFCE named thunar (apt-get install thunar).

MfG T.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 23:11 Uhr

Just got an answer to my bugreport:

Zitat:
The root of the problem is bug #377689 in HAL. Feel free to read that
for more details. You can work around the issue for now by ensuring
that all your drives have lines in /etc/fstab with the "user" option.

Cheers,
Christopher Martin

It was my second bugreport at Debian in my life, but what I really adore is, the answers are delivered quickly, precisely and very,very politely.

hubi

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 23:49 Uhr

Yes, I had the first part of the solution from the debian qt-kde team in about 1 hour after posting on their irc channel, same story, solution, polite.

Hal bug:
http://www.archivum.info/linux.debian.b ... 03124.html

herring
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 00:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Aug 2006

I am new to kanotix, and did a "test install" (2005-04) weekend before last (7/22) to play around with. I was nervous about using kanotix because it's based on unstable, while on my old system I'd been using libranet that I'd updated to sarge.

During my test install I could easily apt-get some kde things like celestia and an internationalization package. This past weekend (7/29) I found I couldn't, at least not without upgrading some bits of kde to 3.5. This thread cleared it all up for me, I was wondering if I was going nuts.

Two questions, because I'm unfamiliar with how unstable and testing are updated:

1. Does this type of thing happen often, where versions of important software are upgraded (i.e. 3.4.x --> 3.5.x) within the release?
2. How long should I expect to wait before it's safe to upgrade all of kde to 3.5 so I can get my toys?

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 02:11 Uhr

For the mounting issue with KDE 3.5.4 Kano provided informations in the german language forum for a workaround (which might be gone after the next update of hal, or better: might be irrelevant by an upgrade from Sid).

Here it positivly affects USB-devices (sticks, hard-disks - YES: I can mount them!), it does not affect DVDs or CDs here (IDE-connected DVD-writer).

The workaround is to edit /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf as root and change the last paragraph to this format:
Zitat:
<!-- You can change this to a more suitable user, or make per-group -->
<policy group="plugdev">
<!--
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"/>
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel"/>
-->
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
<allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
</policy>
Just check if the user is member of the group plugdev.

Just for the sake of good sleep, I backed up the original hal.conf:
# cp /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf.original

Please check also if you really do not need the first two lines, otherwise delete the "arrows".

It might be the maximum I can get out of this situation.

hubi

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 02:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

The fix for the poor fonts in FF and gtk worked for me. Just unchecked, saved then rechecked "Use antialiased fonts" box in kcontrol. Now I am happy Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.