28.03.2024, 11:19 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
michael7
Titel: Hard Drive Recommendation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 02:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
I need to purchase a second hard drive for my wife's computer. (She runs XP because of several proprietary software packages that she must have for her business.) It will be used to backup the data on her first hard drive.

Her primary hard drive is a Western Digital and it has been running for several years, almost constantly, with no hint of trouble. Recently, I purchased a Maxtor 200 GB (the price was right!) and installed it as the slave, but now I'm having seconds thoughts about my choice.

My friends in the IT section where I work have told me that Maxtor quality is questionable and that they have had more failures of Maxtors than any other brand. They were also hesitant to recommend Seagate and urged me to purchase another Western Digital.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I have googled repeatedly and haven't found any good information comparing the various brands as to quality and durability.

P.S. Her computer has an IDE interface, if that's significant.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Hard Drive Recommendation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 03:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

I have several Seagate drives and had nary a problem with them.

SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 03:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jun 2006

We, so far my Maxtor has failed me yet. Though it's kind of a strange thing with brands, sometimes you get a component that people say the brand is good, only to find out that it doesn't last as long as you wanted it to, or is faulty.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 04:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

I have maxtors that are still running since like 3-4 years.

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 06:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

Problem wit WD and some other HD's when formerly installed as a SINGLE-Drive.

Please Add the Jumper To the WD marked as Master. Than the new drive will work as expected.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 17:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

seagate is my choice currently, they have a 5 year warranty. Since all drives will die at some point, I look fora company that will actually back its product for the longest length of time.

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 19:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
I vote for WD, too. I have bought several drives from them over the years for home and lab and never had one fail. But HDD's are like that. Some people have good luck with one brand, others have it with another. I wonder if there really is much difference in the quality between brands.

You can go to www.storagereview.com if you want to read reviews on HDD's.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Marcin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 20:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jul 2006

I'm using/was using few Seagate and Maxtor (I've S. and M. now in my comp) and mayby one or two WD. Seagate has good quality hard drives and Maxtor too (but Maxtor's hdds in my comp heat up Traurig ). I think they're better now than WD (my wd was a litlle slowly than seagate Winken ). My father work in bankomat's service (in bankomats hdd live very long and 24h/day, for example 5years !!). He said the best of disks are Seagate and Maxtor Winken

UncleDeadley
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 03:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Jun 2006
Oh, I thought of one more place you could lookt to get an idea of hard drive quality. Check it out at www.newegg.com They have reviews for all their parts. Any currently shipping disk will probably be there, and you will be able to see what people think of it.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 01:56 Uhr

that's a great place to get good deals on hard drives. I bought almost all my pc gear from newegg and had very few problems.

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 02:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Get the biggest hd you can buy, it will be too small soon Winken

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 02:48 Uhr

Soon 1TB drives will hit the market Smilie

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 09:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

I've assembled 6 computers with WD hard drives. The oldest is 5 years old. But . . . one I put together 4.5 years ago failed a few months ago. I'd still recommend them but I always back up personal data as they all may fail at some (inconvenient) point.

drb

kb0hae
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 13:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi. I would have to recomend Western Digital over Seagate and Maxtor. I had 2 new bad Maxtor drives ( took 1 back, the replacement also was bad...both got VERY hot!). I have a WD drive that is 8 years old and no problems.
Seagate used to be good, but I have to question their quality since they bought out Conner. Conner drives were always of questionable quality/life expectency.

As Always other's milage may vary!

Just my $.02

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 17:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
seagate is my choice currently, they have a 5 year warranty. Since all drives will die at some point, I look fora company that will actually back its product for the longest length of time.

Only usable with Internet explorer though unless you can get an RMA through your dealer!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 19:41 Uhr

I remember Conner...their drives were rather sluggish and noisy

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 17:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
My first hard drive was a Alps Electric 210MB ... it seemed unfillable.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
michael7
Titel: Thanks!  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.08.2006, 03:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
I appreciate the replies. They were helpful. I eventually purchased a 300 GB Seagate off of eBay for about $90 plus shipping.

Before installing it, I made another backup of my wife's C drive to the Maxtor and then removed the Maxtor and sent it home with my sister-in-law. I installed the Seagate and immediately made another backup. (Now there are copies of her books all over the neighborhood.)

Thanks again.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.