28.03.2024, 19:05 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
hkgharry
Titel: Kanotix does not see 2nd hard drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 10:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jul 2006

Hello,

I'm trying Kanotix for the first time (looks great so far), but it doesn't seem to "see" my 2nd SATA hard drive.

For both the live CD and installed version of Kanotix (on sda4), sdb does not show up in the fdisk -l output and I cannot mount any sdb partitions. It (the sdb drive) does show up in the BIOS setup display and in fdisk -l from a debian install on sda2, and I can mount the sdb partions from there as well.

Does something need to be set under Kanatix in order to "see" SATA drives other than the first one?

Thanks.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Kanotix does not see 2nd hard drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 13:27 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
do you have pata-disks connected as well?

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

hkgharry
Titel: Re: Kanotix does not see 2nd hard drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 13:53 Uhr

devil hat folgendes geschrieben::
do you have pata-disks connected as well?

greetz
devil

Not hard-disks, only the two SATA hard-disks.

schnorrer
Titel: Re: Kanotix does not see 2nd hard drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 17:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

some SATA-HD's kannt work together, even the bios acknowleged them.

As example:
Sata SDA is WD and SATA SDB is SEAGATE did not fit.
WD uses a fallback to ide-Protocoll while segate usese still the sata-Protocollwith NCQ enabled.

hkgharry
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 02:56 Uhr

Interesting.

I have 3 SATA drives available, but only two outlets on the motherboard. I was using a Seagate on sda and a WD on sdb. I tried switching to a second Seagate on sdb - again the BIOS sees it as does the Sarge Debian install, but not the Kanotix. Traurig

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 11:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

same hd type now as sda or other. The first one could have a fallback to ide-commands and when you change sdb(WD) with sdb(Seagate a different Model) found by installed sarge but not by kanotix: means sarge does not really recheck the HW and uses still the old driver.

Kanotix rechecks on every boot for changed HW, found the new SATA NCQ-hd, but didn't know, How to handle.

Soloution: Try SEATOOLS to disable the NCQ on the new HD, and WD-Tools for the WD

hkgharry
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 01:17 Uhr

Thanks for the info and advice.

It looks like the answer to my original question is "no", you don't need to set anything in Kanotix for it to see additional drives. I thought it might be something like how you have to manually enable the network, but I guess not.

I've used both the Sarge and Etch installers and both find the two drives, as do both installed Sarge and Etch, as well as Live GPartion and Knoppix 4.0 Live. Kanotix Live and installed don't see the discs, so rather than trying disabling things, for now I'll just stick with other alternatives that are working for me. I'll keep your responses in mind in case the other alternatives start not seeing the drives down the road.

All the best.

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 17:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

I can see that mixing brands are not always a good idea. All my drives are Seagates and they worked well.

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 18:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

On Intel boards, 2nd SATA did not work on 2005-04, but it works on Easter.

hkgharry
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 08:53 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
On Intel boards, 2nd SATA did not work on 2005-04, but it works on Easter.

This PC does indeed have an Intel chipset. I've installed Easter and now both the Seagate and the Western Digital drives can be seen when connected to the 2nd SATA.

Thanks!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.