28.03.2024, 08:25 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
fingers99
22 Titel: running synaptic as other than root  BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 00:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jun 2006

I don't like adept: it's not that it's any worse than synaptic, but it's different enough to require a fair bit of re-learning, so, as soon as synaptic became available in sid, I installed it.

But, running it as an ordinary user doesn't allow any changes, while suing or su - ing to root brings up display errors:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

and so on. I don't want to have to log on graphically as root, I don't want to do it through sudoers.

Any ideas?

Running 2006 rc4

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 00:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Just a guess, have you tried "sux" instead of "su"?

HK-47
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 01:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

i have synaptic installed too, but it asks me for the root password everytime i run it, so there's no problem. have you tried removing and reinstalling it? if that still doesn't work, use the command:

kdesu synaptic

either on the Run Command dialog or from a console. it should ask you for the root password and run synaptic as root. you can also change the command on the shortcut to synaptic in the KDE menu from 'synaptic' to 'kdesu synaptic'

SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 04:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jun 2006

I actually have a questin about sudo. I added myself to the sudoers file, by doing

Code:
username ALL = ALL

According to the official website, that command should give me root privelages but it should ask me the root password everytime I use sudo for example sudo synaptic. But it doesn't. I even tried "username ALL = PASSWD: ALL" but it still didn't work. I remember when I was using Mepis that when I did "sudo program name", it would ask me the root password. Unfortunately, Kanotix does not have this as default when you install. So I cannot use sudo on a freshly installed Kanotix system unless I add myseft to the sudoers file.

My question is, how do I get sudo to ask me the root password when I use it, because obviously this is a security risk (I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere). Thanks.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 04:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
SaberBlaze,

username ALL = ALL
requires not the root-password, but the user's password, if I am not totally misled (have not checked the thing now, but I was using Sudobuntu for a while).

hubi

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 09:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
No need to fiddle around with sudo. From default Kanotix, when starting synaptic from the System menu, you are asked for the root passwort automaticly. When starting it as user from a konsole, it will start read-only (which is probably the best use of synaptic). The mentioned hack (username ALL =ALL) is not really a secure solution - to which problem, actually?

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
SaberBlaze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 09:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jun 2006

I just meant using sudo in general, for example when compiling something I would do ./configure, make, then sudo checkinstall.

fingers99
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 22:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jun 2006

kdesu synaptic

works fine -- IIRC, that's the way Knoppix runs it. sux I've yet to try.

Thanks to all!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.