28.03.2024, 21:20 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
santhoshveigas
Titel: Swap Partition- Apparent Contradiction in Manual  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 06:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Jun 2006
Hello All,

I am a newbie to Linux, hence Kanotix as well.

When I was trying to install Kanotix 2005-04 release on to my laptop I found this seeming contradiction in the manual and I quote
Zitat:

A swap partition should be the double size of the RAM but not larger than 500 MB. If you plan to use "Suspend to RAM" or "Suspend to Disk" (hibernation) you must include at least 1.5 times the size of the RAM for the swap partition.

Now the point is I have 512MB DDR2 RAM on my machine. So according to the above given instructions if I want to "HIBERNATE" my machine then the size of the swap partition must be 1.5 GB. But the above quote also states that the size of the swap partiton should not be larger than 500 MB.

Can some one help me?????????????

Would be grateful to any help in this regard.

Regards,
Santhosh J Veigas.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Swap Partition- Apparent Contradiction in Manual  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 07:08 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
without using hibernate, 500 mb is enough, for hibernate, of course, you need more. no contradictioin there.
btw.: please rethink installing 2005-05, it is the last final, but its a bit old amd you might run in trouble trying to upgrade it or install stuff. it would be better to install the latest 2006 easter-preview RC4, to be fould to the left in the tracker.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

2radical
Titel: RE: Swap Partition- Apparent Contradiction in Manual  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 21:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
With your amount of ram you don't need a huge swapfile, depending what kind of memory-intensive apps you run. I have mine at 512 with same amount of memory as you, & the swapfile rarely gets used. I second devil's suggestion to install Easter RC4, but not upgrade anything printing related. I like to use the -s switch to simulate installs beforehand to see what will happen, [apt-get -s install packagename] and also use apt-cache show [packagenames] to see what they are for. It's time-consuming sometimes, but better than messing up a working system.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.