28.03.2024, 21:50 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Gruffnutz
19 Titel: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution of Bootloader?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 22:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jul 2006

Is it possible to change the resolution of the GRUB bootloader itself. I have a Viewsonic 1912w LCD which wont display the bootloader as the resolution is too low. It also won't display my Bios screen but that's a seperate issue.

I have to guess when GRUB has loaded and 'fly blind' with the keyboard to boot into Linux. I have looked at the menu.lst file and can't see any option to change the resolution of GRUB itself, only options to change the res at which Kanotix boots.

Please help!!!! Sehr böse

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution of Bootload  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 23:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Any luck with changing the settings via OSD?

Gruffnutz
Titel: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution of Bootload  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 23:13 Uhr

Sorry, OSD on the monitor itself? It just doesn't support the default GRUB resolution. I need to make GRUB display in 1024x768 or higher. Native resolution of the monitor is 1400x900.

I have sent Viewsonic a tech support query asking why their monitor wont scale to a standard boot screen resolution but as yet no reply!!!

If I can alter the resolution that GRUB displays I can at least choose Linux or XP without guessing.

janice21475
Titel: Re: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution of Boot  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 04:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Jul 2006
Gruffnutz hat folgendes geschrieben::
. . . . If I can alter the resolution that GRUB displays I can at least choose Linux or XP without guessing.

Sorry you are having a problem but glad you reported it. This is similar to the problem that caused me to quit using Kanotix. I have a 17" Plannar LCD Monitor. There is an error message with each bootup, however I am able to read the text after I click out of the message. It does continue to boot but adds a bunch of extra steps and it is ugly, too.

If you find a resolution to your problem I hope you post it on the forum, or at least send me a copy.

regards,
janice21475

P.S. Let me ask, outside of this are you satisfied with the distro? j

Gruffnutz
Titel: RE: Re: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution of  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 05:15 Uhr

Just found this...

"rysiek
March 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
nope. GRUB, as for now, only allows 640x480 resolution in the bootmenu.

Cheers
Mike"

...here http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/ind ... 19696.html

If thats true, Im out of luck. Can anyone confirm.

P.S. Yep, I love Kanotix!

janice21475
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 06:30 Uhr

. . . P.S. Yep, I love Kanotix!

Thanks for that info.

You know, my husband ran the live-CD on his computer and the bootup menu was beautiful and in a high resolution. On my monitor it is 640x480 and has a big ugly black error message on a bright green screen.

Hope we can get it straightened out,

Cheers,
janice21475

Gruffnutz
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolu  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 08:33 Uhr

My monitor manual says it supports the following resolutions...

1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 1024 @ 60, 70, 72 Hz
1024 x 768 @ 60, 70, 72, 75, 85 Hz
800 x 600 @ 56, 60, 72, 75, 85 Hz
640 x 480 @ 60, 75, 85 Hz
720 x 400 @ 70 Hz

...so I'm not sure why I cant see my bios screen or GRUB. Their tech support won't respond. Guess its a hardware problem. Thanks to all who replied

janice21475
Titel: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 15:52 Uhr

. . . . I'm not sure why I cant see my bios screen or GRUB. Their tech support won't respond. Guess its a hardware problem. Thanks to all who replied

Someone suggested that my problem may be video driver during boot and not the monitor. I have not delved into that yet. I will try to get a screenshot of my booting view and post it.

regards,
janice

This is what I see when I am booting.
Added image:

schnorrer
Titel: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 16:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

let us now what kind of graficcard and Mainboard you have.

janice21475
Titel: Re: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 16:40 Uhr

schnorrer hat folgendes geschrieben::
let us now what kind of graficcard and Mainboard you have.

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0WF887
Bus Clock: 533 megahertz

Thanks for checking this out for me.

janice

slh
Titel: RE: Re: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 17:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

comment "gfxmenu ..." (put a # in front of the line) in /boot/grub/menu.lst, strangely gfxboot is crashing on your h/w, since we're in the process of reworking the gfxboot menus right now, it might be interesting to test again with the next release.

janice21475
Titel: Re: RE: Re: GRUB on a Widescreen LCD - Change Resolution  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 18:12 Uhr

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
comment "gfxmenu ..." (put a # in front of the line) in /boot/grub/menu.lst, strangely gfxboot is crashing on your h/w. . . .

Thanks slh,

Later today I will do that. Right now, my husband and I are going to go cut down some trees on our property. Ugh! Hot work but it has to be done.

Cheers,
janice

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.