20.04.2024, 00:55 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Roughnecks
Titel: Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 11:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
Well, i downloaded simplymepis and had a look at it in vmware. first: the download was really slow.

unfortunately, simplymepis only comes in english. i'd have to install german packages myself. this is not a problem for me, because i'm used to english, but i think a distro should support more languages out of the box (english, spanish, french, german).
mepis looks very polished and clean - that's a big plus. though i have two floppy icons on my desktop? anyway, the desktop seems to be overloaded. the fishes in the taskbar... what are they for?
software on the cd is ok, everything you need (open office, firefox, kontact, amarok ...). hardware recognition is ok, don't know about nvidia/ati installation (i'll only try mepis in vmare Winken ).
installation crashed the first time because i had mounted a partition - no error box popping up, installation just disappeared. anyway, the installation installs and then asks for usernames and stuff. i think the kanotix way (ask first, then install completely) is much better.

i can watch all videos out of the box, realplayer is installed too.. that's nice. what do i need a virus scanner for (klamav)? the Keep backup program is a good idea.

didn't see anything else exciting there. i miss the nxserver. i don't know wether there is a big difference between mepis and genuine ubuntu. i'd rather recommend using ubuntu than mepis (IF i should ever recommend any other distro than kanotix :p).

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
eco2geek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 19:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
There's a review of SimplyMEPIS up on tuxmachines.org that reaches the same conclusions.

What's the benefit of using SimplyMEPIS over Kubuntu, anyway? Where's the "value added"?

P.S. to Slam: Happy SysAdmin Day, you elitist, you. Winken

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 23:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

eco2geek hat folgendes geschrieben::
What's the benefit of using SimplyMEPIS over Kubuntu, anyway? Where's the "value added"?

It's prettier. Winken

From what I've seen reported, memory requirements are also lower (probably due to Warren's "tweaking"). Here's one review commenting on it:

http://raldztech.blogspot.com/2006/07/s ... op-on.html

" MEPIS uses 115MB of RAM while the other distro uses 220MB of RAM. This is probably what separates MEPIS from the others... speed and efficiency."

In addition, it's already got most needed media players and codecs installed, and you don't really need to know anything about Linux to get it running. The installer is great for newbies.

My wife has been running SimplyMEPIS for quite a while now (other than when I switched her back to Windows briefly last year because I couldn't find a distro that worked with a new HP Multi-function printer I bought).

SimplyMEPIS was one of the *VERY* few distros I could get running on a laptop I bought for my wife a while back. I got it running in only 64MB of RAM (with a KDE interface). No tweaking needed. It installed and ran in 64MB of RAM. That was an older 3.3 version.

You can see some comments from me on it in this old thread from March of last year when I first installed it for her:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=12468403

With each subsequent version (3.3.2, 3.4.3, current 6.0), memory requirements have increased. But, to be frank, other than the printer issue (I couldn't get a new one working on 3.3), I'd prefer to run on SimplyMEPIS 3.3. Overall, for someone that's not very Linux literate (me), it's worked better than any distro I've tried to date.

Will I use it? I dunno... I've been trying a lot of distros (again) lately, including Kantix 2006-easter-rc4, Suse 10.1, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and more. Right this minute, I've got SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final installed again (I overwrote a Kubuntu install with it). I prefer SimplyMEPIS compared to Kubuntu. It's "prettier". Lachen

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 05:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
I was beta testing Mepis when it was hardly known by anybody.
At the time Warren felt like a really nice guy.
After that I tried every release. Mepis never really was my cup of tea.
I am not going to try SimplyMepis 6.0: I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 11:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
Daniele hat folgendes geschrieben::
..............I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

That's almost all of them lol

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 15:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
anticapitalista hat folgendes geschrieben::
Daniele hat folgendes geschrieben::
..............I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

That's almost all of them lol

It is the majority, but not all of them.
Most top ones in Distrowatch Page Hit Ranking do support 64 bit, and Debian is one of them.

PAn
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 23:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Aug 2005

Had just too many glitches with Easter RC. I tried Mepis and it was so far the best debian based distro. (Xandros 3 was good, 4 was slow - happens to some PC configurations). I had set up all programs I need. Kanotix will probbaly return to my HD when this year's relase comes out. I somehow don't like distro not based on pure Debian. Smilie

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 23:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Mepis is good from marketing point of view. Nobody can say he does not know how to make money. When you look a bit deeper how his distribution works, then you find nothing special with it. Compared to Kubuntu the differences are the the installed apps, the curious init scripts - you never can see 11 splashy initscripts somewhere else Winken and of course the funny KDE outfit for aquarium lovers. Kanotix might use splashy next time too, but of course in a differnet way. The use of Ubuntu standard kernel is not my thing, but maybe he feels better using 2.6.15...

jjjrrr3
Titel: Re: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 06:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::
If anyone has been watching this distro (especially with all of the controversy surrounding GPL'd code), SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final is now availlable.

I must have missed the MEPIS controversy. A friend has been talking up SimplyMEPIS lately, so I'm curious as to what the story is.

eco2geek
Titel: RE: Re: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 08:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
You can read about it here and here.

Didn't Mepis used to have a free version and a for-pay version, or something like that? Looks like they just have the one version now, with paid subscriptions giving you faster access to new releases, like Mandriva does.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 15:11 Uhr

You can download most releases of SimplyMEPIS from public mirrors.

See the downloads page here:

http://www.mepis.org/node/1462

Warren also has an arrangement with a TaFusion. They customize SimplyMEPIS and sell it.

http://www.tafusion.com/

michael7
Titel: Random thoughts on Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 18:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Some people on this board really like Mepis (anti, JimC) and other really dislike it. I'm somewhere in the middle. I have Mepis 6.0 installed on another partition and occasionally boot into it just for something to do. I think it's a good distro, easy to install and easy to use, but it ain't Kanotix. If Mepis is a Volkwagen Beetle, Kanotix is a Porsche.

Shortly after becoming a Linux convert, I was using Mepis on a daily basis and one of Mr. Woodford's assistants asked me about doing some legal work for Mepis (on a volunteer basis, of course). I readily agreed and then didn't hear from him again. After perusing the links that ecogeek posted, I wonder if it was the GPL that he needed help with. I guess he never got around to reading it. Sehr glücklich

devil
Titel: Random thoughts on Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 18:39 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
michael,
i used mepis as well, before coming to kanotix. what i disliked most, was the mepislovers forum.
i'm happy to have missed all the ubuntu and GPL stuff.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Random thoughts on Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 19:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

mepislovers forum was a joke, in my opinion.

jk
Titel: RE: Random thoughts on Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 23:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006

I still use Mepis 3.3 at work. It has been stable for me as in sarge. Mepis 6 does not impress me. I still don't see why so many people like Ubuntu.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 07:06 Uhr

I'm still running under 6.0.

But, it's not that stable, and I have run into a few quirks with it. Nothing real major though ...

It wouldn't recognize my monitor correctly (even though Kubuntu and Ubuntu do), you can't add a printer from the CUPS Web Interface anymore (but, that's probably a CUPS issue since the same thing seems to apply to some other distros), ndiswrapper is "flaky" with some drivers that worked fine under earlier versions of SimplyMEPIS, giving you segment faults when you use modprobe ndiswrapper, KDE Application Launch feedback is buggy with Firefox (keeps telling you it's loading long after it's finished so you need to change the default timeouts in KDE appearance), mplayer codecs don't work quite right by default, sometimes Konquerer "stalls" when reading from an NTFS partition, etc.

I think the older versions were a bit more solid (and didn't have all of the quirks I've seen with the new one).

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 10:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

I too used to have a mepis partition, simply for something to do- not for use all the time. However after all this gpl stuff coming to light, i removed it and installed debian etch over the top. And i have to say i was very impressed. No k-aquarium, no prefetch bulls*** and no ubuntu kernel. And i actually learned something- the debian install is as easy as piss. (i used weekly build of etch and tried the gui installer).

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 13:40 Uhr

I don't even know what the prefetch stuff you're talking about is. lol

But, I don't know much about Linux.

The Aquarium is easy to get rid of. Just right click on panel, select remove applet, kaquarium and it's gone.

So, that's no big deal. Heck, it bothered me less than the transparency that's turned on in Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4 (which was also easy to turn off).

As for Debian, I like the Kanotix install. It's much easier than most distros. 2006-easter-rc4 didn't seem very stable on my PC though (for example, firefox vanishing from time to time for no apparent reason -- where it would be up and running one second and gone the next with no errors of any kind), and one of my wireless cards (rt2500 chipset) wouldn't work. That's one of my "pet peeves" (when things work in one version of a distro and stop working in the next). I had the same problem with PCLinuxOS (they supported this chipset in 0.92, and it's broken in 0.93a and 0.93 junior).

Apparently, there is a compatibility issue with the kernel being used in the new Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4rc and the rt2500 driver. So, I had to install the UP kernel to get it working. Then, I couldn't get the nvidia driver to work with the UP kernel on my PC and had to go back to the nv driver. So, I had more problems trying to get everything working in Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4 than I did with SimplyMEPIS 6.0. But, 2005-04 seems to work OK on my PC. I don't really need the Nvidia driver for anything though, and I did make a good backup of my 2006-easter-rc4 install with the UP kernel in case I want to go back to it, since I spent a bit of time tweaking fonts, etc.

I'm not sure if I'll leave SimplyMEPIS on it or not. Perhaps not. I've been thinking about loading Kanotix 2005-04 again. It's been a while since I've tried it. I've been keeping an eye out for a new Kanotix RC, too. I like to try them when I see them (and it's been a while now since a new one).

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 13:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Zitat:
Apparently, there is a compatibility issue with the kernel being used in the new Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4rc and the rt2500 driver.

Kano mentioned rt2500 today in another post:
http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=126853#126853
He recommended to use it with ndiswrapper.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 14:12 Uhr

I got it working OK using the UP kernel. So, that's no big deal (I really don't need the default kernel anyway). The UP kernel seems to be faster on my PC for some reason, too. It's a 3Ghz P4 with 1MB L2 cache and HT, 800mhz FSB and 1GB RAM.

I've also got another wireless card I can use with default kernel with ndiswrapper (a Netgear WG311V3). I don''t even know where the CD is for the adapter with the rt2500 chipset (although I guess I could probably find the driver to use with ndiswrapper on the net somewhere).

I don't see any big advantage to the new RC over 2005-04, and the older version seemed more stable on my PC anyway. So, I'll probaby skip the easter-rc4 for now. I did make a backup of my config, since I managed to get my fonts looking good in it, just in case I decide to go back to it at some point because I need something new that's in Debian.

I like tring new distros often. But, SimplyMEPIS is running OK now and I've managed to get the codecs I need working, too. So, I'm not in a big hurry to go through the hassle of configuring yet anohter distro right now, without a more compelling reason. lol

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 14:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

And thats the beauty of linux- we all have the choice and freedom to stick with whichever distro suits us best- or move to another.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.08.2006, 15:38 Uhr

I'm still searching for that "perfect distro", and I guess there's no such thing. Smilie

I wish I could take the things I like the best from each one and roll them into one distro. If I was more competent with Linux, I'm sure that would be possible. But, I barely know enough to get most distros working with my hardware (and I give up with most of them).

Kanotix is uaully on my "short list" for a possible OS I'd want to use all the time, as is SiplyMEPIS. But, Kanotix doesn't have the non-free stuff that some of the other distros have preinstalled. So, I consider that to be a disadvantage with it. Of course, once you take the time to get all that stuff installed, then it's a non-issue.

I've probably spent more time in these two (Kanotix and SimplyMEPIS) than all other distros I've tried combined (which isn't saying much, since I usually don't spend a lot of time in Linux). Although lately, I have been, as I'm trying to see if I can live without XP.

chipsburner
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 10:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jun 2006

I used Mepis 6 on most of my computers, and find it very good. That is not to say that Kanotix is not. As good as Mepis 6 is, Kanotix has impressed me, in that is has worked on 2 computers I have tried it on that Mepis failed on, because of hardware. Also, Kanotix live cd even worked on computers that did not have a hard drive in them. I have not found any other linux so far that would.

I have the newest RC4 of Kanotix on a slidein bay 20gig hd in my desktop computer. I was disappointed with Mepis 3.4.3, somewhat, and was looking at Kanotix. If I had been smart enough to have figured out how to get my ATI dual monitors working at 1600x1200, might have done it. Mepis 6 was easy, no scripts or command line, good for a dummie like me.

Still, of the two people that I have converted to linux, one I gave a Kanotix disk, as that was what worked on that computer.

PCLinuxOS 0.93A also impresses me. I have it on one old laptop. These 3 distro's I will continue to download, watch, and use. Thanks, Kano, Warren, and Tex. They all do great work, if I had to, I could use any of the three. Also, like the forums, people seem friendly, as a rule.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.