28.03.2024, 23:56 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
dadonline
Titel: ideal laptop for kanotix?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 11:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Mai 2005
Hello to all KANOTIX-friends,

I want to buy a laptop and search for a ideal machine for Kanotix. That means, it should have no problems with integrated hardware.

It must not be a brandnew laptop, maybe a Toshiba or a Fujitsu-Siemens (1 or 2 years old..)
Toshiba I would like for example Satellite M30 or Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pro.
Who has expirences...

Thanks for reply!
Johann Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slam
Titel: ideal laptop for kanotix?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 11:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Just to clarify before: Kanotix runs fine on almost every laptop I came around. But if it would be my own decision, I would definitely stick with IBM or Acer instead - both come with better Bios, stronger ACPI support in Linux, and an overall better hardware quality. Try to find a 2nd hand one with Nvidia graphics chip - that would be the ideal Kanotix laptop.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
mdmarmer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 19:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Mar 2006
toshiba IBM and Sony have best build quality

Best Linux compatibility is probably HP -- IBM is good in this respect

Toshiba, Amilo and Sony have unique features that Linux may not recognize

Try the live CD before buying if possible

Mike

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 19:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

IBM T40-41, without any question. That's why I bought one. Not very expensive on the used market now, and a very strong piece of hardware. Look for hard disks > 30 gigabyte, though you can easily upgrade to larger and or faster. Memory > 512 mB upgrade to more if needed. Many major linux top developers used this laptop, stallman uses ibms, or did, so do many other top guys, for a good reason, it's a very good machine.

Don't know about later ibms with all the fancy bells and whistles, but the quality of ibm is instantly noticeable if you've ever opened any other laptop brand, as is the quality of the documentation from ibm.

One to two year old you could probably get one for under $500 now I'd guess, without having to look very hard.

Don't even consider dell, gateway, or any other lowend company like that, get what the linux guys develop on.

I don't know if lenova is maintaining the quality level, I assume they are, mine is co branded and it's very good stuff.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 19:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Yep - sorry I forgot HP, it's also mostly decent hardware and I only had good experiences with their products over the years. I did happen to not like their design any more since 2-3 years.

Although I agree on Toshiba's build quality, the same is definitely not true for Sony! They might make the best tft-screens, but the rest is very cheap and often looking much better than it actually is. Did not Sony invent the "Alu Design" cases, which actually are made of cheap plastic?

Toshiba, Fujitsu-Siemens and Sony often add "features" - that's true again. Think twice if those really are important for you (i.e. 25 hot keys you never use actually). But the problem with them is that they implement those features usually via a very poor (i.e. Phoenix) and stripped down Bios - that's why no operating system can recognize those without provided drivers from the manufacturer. Those drivers again come in poor quality, and are usually not provided for Linux. There are reverse engeneered Linux drivers for most of this, but they ususally need some tweaking and knowlegde to get them running. So, why bother? Go with HP, IBM or Acer where everthing usually works out of the box and is Linux friendly.

Always try with the newest Kanotix-CD (See "Preview" on the left), and insist on that. Never buy a Laptop without having tried it for at least 20 minutes with the operating system you will use. If they don't allow you to try, it's definitely the wrong shop for you. If you go for 2nd hand or mail orders, again at least try to test the same model somewhere before.

You may also ask for specific models here - chances are big that one of us already has booted Kanotix on it.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
dadonline
Titel: Thanks to all for helping  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 19:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Mai 2005
Thank you very much for your postings !!! Ausrufezeichen

Johann

aking469
Titel: Laptop  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 22:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Feb 2006

IBM R40 has been a workhorse for me for a couple of years. Have Kanotix running well. Only sore spot is the touchstick, it works but some settings are a little difficult to change. I have had Kanotix running on an IBM 600E also. I agree that IBM Thinkpads are tops on quality.....and durability. I am really rough on things and mine have handled this adventure easily.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 22:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
slam hat folgendes geschrieben::
Did not Sony invent the "Alu Design" cases, which actually are made of cheap plastic?

My little "alu" VAIO looks terrible after one year. If police ever wants my fingerprints, they just need a cheap digicam to get them from the case. It looks really dirty and I do not have a clue with what to clean or if it can be cleaned. The alu case of my HP is cleanable and clean.

But the vaio-screen is brilliant.

hubi

pfe1223
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 23:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2006

I have an HP laptop (about 2 years old), and I have no problem with Kanotix (2005-04 and Easter Preview). I have heard that the IBM T40 - 41 (as mentioned above) are some of the best laptops for supported hardware. However, you tend to pay more for IBM's (new), so HP might be a better deal.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.