28.03.2024, 13:59 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
MarcM001
Titel: Grub ate my windows partition?  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 05:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Jul 2006

Well, not exactly, but I can't boot windows anymore. I've installed grub to the MBR. I have a single hard disk, with 3 paritions: 1GB swap, 4 GB EXT3, remainder NTFS. Grub boots up kanotix just fine off of EXT3, but I'm can't see to get grub to find my windows partition. Here is my entry for windows:

rootnoverify (hd0,4)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The error is #12, Invalid device requested.

Any suggestions very welcome indeed. I hope this is as dumb a problem as my last (scratching my head over the install and realizing my ISO file was corrupt).

Best,
Marc

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 05:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

did you install grub as a separate procedure or simply in the normal course of installing kanotix? i've installed and re-installed kanotix many times and have never had a problem with grub finding WinXP. try using the "repair grub" option (i think that's what it's called) from the kanotix installer on your liveCD.

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 06:11 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
marc,
on what partition is windows? you said, you have 3, but (hd0,4) points to the fifth partition on the first hd. mind you, grub starts counting with 0, so, 3rd partition on first hd would be (hd0,2)
if you cant set it manyall, boot the cd, open the installer and choose option 3, repair an existing install. there rewrite grub to mbr.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.