29.03.2024, 09:14 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
kstevek
Titel: Desktop freezing  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 00:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jan 2006

Hi to all,
I've been experiencing strange desktop freezing where everything stops except the mouse pointer, all I can do is move that about the screen though, no response to clicks or hovering over links. The keyboard does nothing either though I do resort to a tricky keyboard manouver to restart the whole box safely (crtl+alt+sysrq+r then again with +s,+e,+i,+u,+b) dont know what it does but it works.
I've been looking into what mixes of stuff i've had running and kwifimanager in taskbar seems to upset things with only firefox, gaim and konqueror on desktop, conky is there too in background.
Something like this used to happen very infrequently a few months/kernels ago (on 2.6.17.3-slh-up-1 just now) I need to know how and where to look for clues, which log file?
Any ideas?

cheers kstevek

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
schnorrer
Titel: Desktop freezing  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 02:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

/var/log/messages
~/kdeerrors.log

gardyloo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 03:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

About the tricky keyboard maneuver:

LEFT Alt + SysRq + ...

r: Puts keyboard in "raw" mode. You might try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill the X now. If that doesn't work, then carry on:

s: Attempts to synchronize the disk (write all unsaved data to disk).

e: Sends termination signal to all processes except init.

i: Sends kill to all processes except init.

u: Attempts to unmount all mounted filesystems read-only. Avoids the file-system check upon reboot.

b: Reboots the system. Equivalent to just resetting it if the rest of the sequence hasn't been followed.

zulu9
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 15:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 31. Jul 2004

wow. didn't know these nice key-combos. I didn't even know that a key "SysRq" exists Winken
seems in linux, you almost never have to hit the reset-button or power off Sehr glücklich

Richard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 16:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
I used to have to use this a lot when I ran Mandrake. Learned about it from the Mandrake users forum. There is a phrase:
Raising Skinny Elephants iS Utterly Boring
Alt+SysReq then R=Raising ; try Ctl+Alt+Bksp after commands.
Alt+SysReq then S=Skinny ; do these with pauses and read messages
Alt+SysReq then E=Elephants ;
Alt+SysReq then S=S ; use the S
Alt+SysReq then U=Utterly ;
Alt+SysReq then B=Boring ; reBoots. I think O turns off computer

This will usually overcome a locked/unresponsive keyboard problem.
You could also open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F1 (F2, F3, etc.), login with permissions desired, run top / htop and kill the offending app.
Then switch back to the GUI with Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Richard am 29.07.2006, 02:59 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

gardyloo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 19:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

Zitat:

seems in linux, you almost never have to hit the reset-button or power off

For some reason (I have no idea what, but it made me laugh), that made me remember a quote I found on bash.org last night:
Zitat:

using linux is like using windows, except every time you try to do something like install a program or a driver or set a different resolution, a big black dude runs in and kicks you in the side of the head.
-bash.org

kstevek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 20:33 Uhr

@Richard,
yup "raising the skinny elephant" is what i first came accross it as, cant remember where but its saved me a few times.
When my desktop freezes though i have no response from the keyboard in the normal way so no chance to open a terminal or restart x (crtl+alt+backspace) only the "elephant" will do...

@schnorrer,
/var/log/messages is allways empty and i cant find ~/kdeerrors.log where else might i find some information?

has anyone else had a lock up exactly like this?

cheers kstevek

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 21:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Since 2 years I use Kanotix and my desktop never froze ... should I worry?
Pitty, actually I really would love to use the commands above. Winken
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
kstevek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 23:03 Uhr

lol slam,
i'd rather mine didnt though, need to find out why it does.

cheers kstevek

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2006, 01:11 Uhr

Where to find else: ~/.kde/tmp-'BOXNAME'/konqueror-crash or ~/.xsession-errors or in one of the /var/log/*.log files.

ironwalker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 17:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
I just experianced this for the first time ever in my life two days ago.ctrl+alt+backspace didnt work,I reset the pc.I have had frozen pc's before but not like this where only the mouse pointer works.I wish I can pinpoint what program caused this.I will have a look in some logs.
By the way,only happend once when I came to my pc in the late afternoon after 5 hrs no use.

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.07.2006, 17:26 Uhr

Why have you told your btw so late. The unconditional Freeze can coused from dirty connectors inside the PC.
Where does your PC stand? dirty, dusty, wet room?

Sometimes it helps to clean the PC inside from dust. Should solve the Freezing.

If not it could be somtheing wrong with the powersupply. Remove and change it bey a new one.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 17:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
Recently I've had to reset using firefox when nothing works--keyboard, mouse. Last time I was reading Richards post when it happened again. The keyboard combos didn't work. How could they when it wasn't accepting input in the first place? Not good. I think I'll go buy a can of compressed air or something. My power supply is new (2nd one) I'm using Konqueror now which I don't like as well, but so far it hasn't locked up.

al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 20:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

Only time I've had freezing like this is when my internal temp got too high. I shut down, took of the cover, blew a small box fan at it and started up again. No problems. Thus I added a fan like this: http://2coolpc.com/Cooling_Solutions/index.html from 2coolpc.com and problems went away for good.

Are you using a FF extention of some kind? Just a thought.

To lock up a keyboard and a mouse would probably mean that you somehow 'hosed' X. How could you have done that?

Al

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 20:37 Uhr

I'm using firefox 1.5.0.4. w/out extensions. I don't know how I could have hosed X if indeed that was the problem. I have 2 fans in the box so I kinda doubt that temp is a problem. I just got back home & of course I forgot to get the canned air. Later...

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 20:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

on older pcs, the cpu heatsink tends to collect a mat of felt like dust between the heat sink blades, and on the fan blades themselves.

Compressed air usually will not clean this out, you need to open the case, unscrew the cpu fan unit, then clean out all the accumulated dust and fiber that can dramatically raise cpu temps because the heatsink does not get any airflow over it.

You don't need to do this that often, maybe once a year or so, depending on how dusty the room is.

Better cases, like antec, have a removable dust screen behind the front panel that catches more dust.

Antec sonata II cases come with a cpu fan duct to bring in cool air from the outside.

You can see if cpu temp is an issue by installing lm-sensors together with ksensors, which is a gui front end. Once lm-sensors is setup, it will show you all relevant cpu/mobo data.

Firefox freezing may be due to an extension conflict or corruption. Many people mix extensions that are not compatible and are then surprised and annoyed to find firefox destabilizing. Keep your extensions clean, don't mix functionaliities unless you're sure you know what the results will be.

But my first guess on why firefox is locking up would be that you installed that horrible gtk2-engines-gtk-qt, which tends to massively destabilize firefox from my experience. I would never use that library again for any reason. And yes, it totally froze kde in some cases. That issue may or may not have been fixed, I don't care, I'll never use that, or anything like that, again, for any reason.

op4latino
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 05:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
The keyboard combo you were talking about earlier, is it supposed to work in windows as well? My XP is freezing up at shutdown every now and then.

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 12:54 Uhr

There is an other reson failing shutdown or unconditional freeze on older mobo's.

1. bad programmed APM/ACPI. New BIOS will help.
2. 1 Jumper on the MoBo for the KBD to Powerup the pc. found near the KBD-Connector.
Pos. 1-2 means yes allow the KBD to powerup, Pos. 2-3 No.
someteimes there is a 2nd Jumper for the KBD-Powering. Jumper set: KBD and mouse got powered with 5V, even if the PC is off.

In the Case where only the 3-pin jumper is avail. set it to that pos. where powerup is allowed.
in the case with both Jumpers, also make shure the 2-pin jumper is set to power the KBD even PC is off.

@op4latino:Freezing XP too, cause can be: Bad plugged interface card in a pci-slot, does not fit exactly, bad connected RAM-Modules. By default overclocked Ram-Interface (Ram timing to fast) unstable PSU on 5V.

Wireing and Cables will cover the Fan, cause overheat on cpu. sol. Make shure no Cabel disturbs the airflow.
And last but not seldom, a damaged Capacitor near the RAM. MoBo is defekt.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 17:31 Uhr

I bought this unit in 2004--is that considered old? Todays the day everything gets cleaned & checked. My lockups/freezes were not constant but irregularily occuring

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 22:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

@2radical: 2004 can't be considered too old, unless you ask a salesperson from Dell or HP. Winken

Two suggestions: Boot off the Kanotix cd and run memtest86 from grub extra menu to check memory modules; remove pc case cover for a couple of days to improve cooling.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.07.2006, 23:07 Uhr

Zitat:
2004 can't be considered too old, unless you ask a salesperson from Dell or HP.

Lachen Yeah I'm sure you're right!! I just got through cleaning the inside of my box. The power supply was pretty dusty, but other than that, things weren't too bad. I have a fan on the side cover so it gets pretty good heat dissapation. I will do the memtest though so thanks...

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 01:36 Uhr

Well I ran memtest86+ for around 45 min making one pass with no errors, so I guess things are OK. Maybe it was just a fluke as I haven't had any more freezes since I reported it. At least things are nice & dust-free inside now.

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 04:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
My main pc started freezing baddly a couple of months ago ... it started happening all of a sudden, on every boot, and happened even when I booting via live cd, so I knew it was hardware ... I installed ksensors (like h2 said) and saw that my cpu was runing at a high temp ... I cleaned out the dust in the heatsync (there was quite a bit) and also re-gelled the cpu to the heat sync, and afterwards ksensors showed the cpu running 10 degrees cooler on average.

After that, my pc freezes only once every day or two - but only when the pc is cold! ... ie a few minutes or so after I've after I've booted up in the morning. I don't use gtk2-engines-gtk-qt. It must be some other hardware problem like schnorrer says ... but the funny thing is, I didn't have a problem until a few months ago.

op4latino
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 04:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
well. I just figure out my ps/2 keyboard was messing up things. Somehow its buffer overflowed. Now it's gone. hopefully I won't see XP freezing up.

About dust. I open the case and dust off stuff, but never took the processor fan off. I'll clean that next time.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 21:09 Uhr

On the ksensors configuration mainboard sensors, under values the current temp is greyed out. Why doesn't it display the current temp I wonder?

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.