29.03.2024, 01:24 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 16:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

I "crashed and burned" trying to change to the UP kernel. I'm back into XP now.

I managed to get everything working with the kernel install, and rebooted and everything worked fine (correct kernel showin in grub, pc loaded, belkin wireless g usb adapter working, etc).

But, when I tried the install-nvidia-debian.sh I got errors and I can't get back into a KDE gui again (and I don't know enough about using any command line tools to recover from it).

Is there a way to use a live CD to reinstall x or something (SimplyMEPIS has a feature that lets you recover from problems like that)?

If not, is there a way I can use some kind of editor from command line and change it so that it's not trying to load the nvidia driver (my install attempt failed with errors, but it's still trying to load it, so I never get to any GUI screens)?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 17:15 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::

If not, is there a way I can use some kind of editor from command line and change it so that it's not trying to load the nvidia driver (my install attempt failed with errors, but it's still trying to load it, so I never get to any GUI screens)?

Sure. mc is your friend. The file to edit is
Code:
mcedit -b /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The line to change is the
Code:
Driver "nvidia"

Change "nvidia" to "nv"
Restart your desktop manager:
Code:

su
/etc/init.d/kdm restart

This is the second case I have heard of this happening in as many days.......hmmm.......

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 17:41 Uhr

Thanks!

That worked. I'm back in now using the nv versus nvidia driver.

I'm not sure what went wrong. Maybe I missed a step somewhere, or performed a step I shouldn't have.

I checked /var/log/nvidia-installer.log and see some errors. But, I tried repeating a number of steps in the FAQ for updating the kernel, and it looks like only my last attempt is in the log. So, that may not be the real problem.

Anyway, here is it's contents if that can help figure out why I can't get the nvidia driver to install:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Mon Jul 10 11:57:24 2006

option status:
license pre-accepted : true
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
no precompiled interface: false
no ncurses color : false
query latest driver ver : false
OpenGL header files : true
no questions : true
silent : true
no backup : false
kernel module only : false
sanity : false
add this kernel : false
no runlevel check : false
no network : true
no ABI note : false
no RPMs : false
force tls : (not specified)
force compat32 tls : (not specified)
X install prefix : /usr/X11R6
OpenGL install prefix : /usr
compat32 install prefix : (not specified)
installer install prefix: /usr
utility install prefix : /usr
kernel name : (not specified)
kernel include path : (not specified)
kernel source path : (not specified)
kernel output path : (not specified)
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : none
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp mirror : ftp://download.nvidia.com
RPM file list : (not specified)

Using built-in stream user interface
-> License accepted by command line option.
-> No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; this means
that the installer will need to compile a new kernel interface.
-> Performing CC test with CC="".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.17.3-slh-up-1/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/2.6.17.3-slh-up-1/build'
-> Performing rivafb check.
-> Performing nvidiafb check.
ERROR: Unable to determine the NVIDIA kernel module filename.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 00:47 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Well it's always worth a second attempt. I did speak with someone else having the same issue, his solution was a complete reinstallation which IMHO is not such a great solution. I realy really hate to tell you to do that. Before reinstalling this individual reburned the Kanotix iso making sure to use the -dao switch in K3B then the drivers installed fine.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 01:49 Uhr

I may try it again later. The NV driver seems to be working fine, though.

Actually, I think it's redendering color better than the Nvidia driver did. I had to tweak the Nvidia driver to get colors working right (which is odd, since the Nvdia driver running under Windows XP doesn't need any tweaking from defaults on my system for "close enough" color calibration.

The NV driver seems to be OK just like it is.

The UP kernel runs much better on this PC, too (everything is running faster on it, and I haven't experienced any stability problems like I did running the kernel included with the kanotix-2006-easter-rc4 distro).

Maybe I did get a bad burn or something.

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 13:16 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Sure that driver is just fine if you don't need 3d acceleration.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 18:16 Uhr

mzilikazi hat folgendes geschrieben::

Sure that driver is just fine if you don't need 3d acceleration.

Nope. I don't need 3d graphics. It doesn't help a thing for image editing applications from tests I've seen. I just though the Nvidia driver may be sharper or something. But, that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Nvidia driver also seemed to have color rendering problems on my hardware (at least with the default kernel before I changed it). Interestingly, I noticed that simply loading the Nvidia X Server settings utility would cause my colors to immediately shift, even *before* I'd change anything in the menus. lol Something about it was "flaky" on my PC anyway. So, I'll just use the NV driver instead.

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 22:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Interestingly, I noticed that simply loading the Nvidia X Server settings utility would cause my colors to immediately shift, even *before* I'd change anything in the menus. lol Something about it was "flaky" on my PC anyway. So, I'll just use the NV driver instead.

Actually, that's the expected behavior. The nvidia-settings has no effect until it's started. You must tell it to run on log in if that's the behavior you want. Well no worries if you don't need 3d. Smilie

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 23:35 Uhr

Now that's strange. Smilie

The driver was loading (screen change with Nvidia logo in the middle and everything). So, why in the world would loading the Nvidia X Server Settings utility shift the colors, unless you changed something from defaults?

Or, are the defaults in the utility different from the defaults the driver would normally use (perhaps based on some kind of settings elsewhere)?

I'm not sure I want to know. Smilie

I'll run the NV driver for now. It's working just fine.

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.07.2006, 00:28 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

So, why in the world would loading the Nvidia X Server Settings utility shift the colors, unless you changed something from defaults?

Your question is also your answer. Winken

JimC
Titel: rt2570 working using 2006-01-RC1  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.09.2006, 06:03 Uhr

I just installed Kanotix 2006-01-RC1

I am now online via my Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter (F5D7050) using the built in rt2570 driver with the kernel that is included with the distro. It was already installed with this USB adapter up as eth1 when using iwconfig

Something is not right with it yet. But, it works fine once you get an IP Address with it using dhclient (which takes two tries due to some kind of strange behavior).

I've got a feeling that some portion of the Operating System is trying to treat it like a wired versus wireless connection because I see odd settings like 11mb/s come up as the speed when using iwconfing the first time around. But, after you get an IP Address using dhclient, it displays the connected speed.

Note that it takes two attempts for some reason (the first attempt seems to correct the speed settings problem, even though it times out, and the second attempt grabs the IP Address quickly as it should).

Using netcardconfig and configuring it the way I'd normally configure a wireless adapter does not solve it. I also played with the Wireless Connection Settings in KDE Control Center and see some odd "can't set speed" errors (again, leading me to believe something is trying to interpret as a wired versus wireless connection).

So, I just left it disabled in KDE Control Center (I just went into it to see if setting it there would make any difference, since using netcardcofig to set it to start at bootup does not work with it).

This adapter shows up as eth1 in Kantoix 2006-01-RC1. In most other distros that support it (including Kanotix 2005-04), it shows up as rausb0 instead.

I'll play with it and try to figure out way it's behaving strangely on startup.

But, at least it does work (and once you get it connected it appears to continue working just fine from what I can tell so far).

So, I'll disable using netcardconfig for now and just use dhclient eth1 (twice) to start it until I can figure out what's happening with it.

Thanks for including support for it.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.