28.03.2024, 17:42 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 02:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

I haven't done any screen prints from Kanotix since I added the WebCore Fonts. But, it's good enough at font size consistency now.

Don't worry about the attitude. That was my thought when I saw the menus. in Linux distros at first. lol

I really didn't have a very good attitude around here when I first started hanging out in the forum (trust me, your attitude is quite tame). Winken I was just plain mad at the world because I couldn't find a Linux distro that did everything I wanted without so darn much tweaking. I'm trying to keep a better attitude this time around.

I can't get Opera to install. I downloaded the .deb file from their web site it said to use for Debian Sid (I'm guessing that's the right one). I don't know much about intalling anything in Linux yet, though. I thought all I had to do was click on the .deb file to install something (I seem to remember doing that before with other things). But, that gives me some kind of invalid path error in Ark (which is what loads).

I tried dpkg from a console as root, too (and even downloaded it again from a different mirror to make sure the download wasn't bad). But, it doesn't work. It gives me this error after it goes through some text about unpacking, etc.:

Setting up opera (9.00-20060616.6) ...
[Invalid UTF-8] Could not parse file '/usr/share/applications/kde/knxcc_info.desktop': desktop entry contain line 'Comment[de]=Informationen \xfcber Kanotix' which is not UTF-8

Edit/Added...

Well, I see it under the menus, and it's working. So, I guess it installed anyway (unless it was already there to begin with and I never noticed it).

So, I've got Opera. I'll play with it and see how I like it.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 03:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

I havent' seen that bug for a while, it's a config file error, you can fix it quite easily this way:

Comment[de]=Informationen \xfcber Kanotix'

change to

Comment[de]=Informationen uber Kanotix'

somebody somewhere made a mistake and saved a file using illegal [for utf-8] characters, just edit that u umlaut character to a simple u and it will be fine.

by the way, you can just install opera through apt, it's easier.

add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera sid non-free

first fix the config file character error, then apt-get remove opera
then apt-get update
then apt-get install opera

and you're ready to go. Opera is non-free, commercial software, and is gotten directly from opera, their debian package maintainer seems to have learned how to test his packages on a working debian system, which he wasn't doing on opera 8.5x, opera 9 now seems to not have the apt issues 8.5 did.

And yes, each driver is different, it's a massive ball of code, with I would guess thousands to hundreds of thousands of lines of code, that are written to interact directly with the kernel of the os it is attached to. So they will all be different potentially. There is no such thing as a toaster computer, that is one thing for all people.

And of course, take a read of this article:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

it's worth some thought, since it gets into just why and how we actually approach problems and unexpected behaviors the way we do. Some stuff appears to be so obvious that you just say, yeah, ok, I know that, but the fact is it most of us don't actually understand what this guy is saying. The more I use linux the more sense that article makes to me by the way, every now and then I learn a new way to do something and I go, ah, another windows habit I assumed was right was just a bad habit.

michael7
Titel: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 03:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Just a followup note...

I have Suse 10.1 and SLED installed. I have Fedora Core 5 installed. I have Mandriva 2006 installed. I have PCLinuxOS and CentOS and the last version of Mepis before Mr. Woodchuck opted for Ubuntu installed. I have fiddled with the fonts on all of them and none render as crisp as Kanotix.

Maybe it's Debian or maybe it's Kano and friends or maybe it's a combination of both. Regardless, my fonts on Kanotix are every bit as good as the fonts on XP and somedays, they seem even better. And fonts are important to me because these 56-year-old eyes need all the help they can get. Smilie

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 04:21 Uhr

Thanks h2

I'll edit the file and uninstall and reinstall it correctly. I searched for it using Synaptic. But, I guess the respository it was in wasn't included by default.

It's working the way it is... But, it doesn't appear to be stable (although it's very fast on a couple of sites I visited). I was in the middle of typing a long response a few minutes ago, and it suddenly vanished. lol No errors or anything. It was there one second and gone the next. So, I had better install it again.

It did have an interesting recovery feature when I restarted it though (it was able to open everything I had up before (minus the text I was in the middle of typing).

I skimmed the article you just posted a link to. I've spent a lot of time "playing" with Linux. But, I've never tried to use it for long. I switched my wife to SimplyMEPIS quite a while back after trying a LOT of Linux distros (I must have gone through a couple of hundreds CDs burning and installing different distros). It was just the easiest one to get working with everything while still giving you a reasonable "look and feel".

It was also one of the few distros with KDE that would actually run on an old PII Laptop I bought her. I was able to get one of the Mepis 3.x versions running on it in only 64MB of RAM (and I even got Open Office, Firefox and Gimp to load at the same time, although it was a dog that way), just to see if it was possible. I think this laptop was below the minimum system requirements (but, it stil worked).

Most distros wouldn't even install on it. I upgraded it to 256MB of RAM later. The version she's got now appears to be a bit more of a resource hog though (it runs a little slower). I think it's one of the SimplyMEPIS 3.4 Release Candidates (I never bothered to install the final on it and only installed a newer one because we bought a different printer that needed supporting). It works fine for her needs, though.

I usually keep one of the Mepis RCs on my desktop (dual boot with XP). But, I just overwrote it with Kanotix yesterday.

Kanotix is interesting. I had previously messed around with a lot of the 2005 Release Candidates. It's a lot more trouble to get everything working in though compared to SimplyMEPIS (which already has codecs for many media types working straight from the box, and recognizes most hardware like wireless cards, printers, etc., without needing to do anything else to it). I think it's actually easier to intall compared to Windows, even if you don't know anything about PCs.

I've even switched a few relatives from Windows to it and intalled it for them (even though I'm still running XP as my primary desktop). lol It sounds like there is some debate on how Warren is approaching the GPL though. I'd never paid that much attention to that side of things before. It's got to be the easiest to install distro around.

But, Kanotix was easier to install codess, etc. in compared to most other distros I've tried. It's too bad there are so many proprietary formats that cause these kind of distinctions between what a distro maintainer can or cannot do (and then I guess you've got varying attitudes about keeping only free software included, too).

I'll spend some time with 2006-easter-rc4 and try to keep an open mind about it. The fonts look good enough now for me. I should have figured out that problem a long time ago. I've been wanting to switch from XP for a while now, but never found a distro that I was very comfortable with (and that's probably because I'm so used to Windows).

JimC
Titel: Re: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 04:44 Uhr

michael7 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Just a followup note...

I have Suse 10.1 and SLED installed. I have Fedora Core 5 installed. I have Mandriva 2006 installed. I have PCLinuxOS and CentOS and the last version of Mepis before Mr. Woodchuck opted for Ubuntu installed. I have fiddled with the fonts on all of them and none render as crisp as Kanotix.

Maybe it's Debian or maybe it's Kano and friends or maybe it's a combination of both. Regardless, my fonts on Kanotix are every bit as good as the fonts on XP and somedays, they seem even better. And fonts are important to me because these 56-year-old eyes need all the help they can get. Smilie

That's good to know. I haven't tried Suse 10.1 or SLED. I really didn't want to go through a 5 CD install again. lol I did install Suse 10.0 multiple times last year. I kept coming back to it, since it seemed to run so well on my desktop with nice looking fonts. But, I noticed only the Eval version looked nice (the Open Source version didn't seem to work as well). That may have had something to do with the options I installed it with though.

I also never got all of the media on web sites we visit working right with Suse (even trying to follow the "Hacking Open Suse" articles I found. lol So, I finally gave up on it.

I wasn't very impressed with PCLinuxOS either, and it wasn't very stable on my PC. It seems to get good reviews from most users though.

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Re: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 06:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
So I can find the fonts in xp, but where do I put them in kanotix?

h2
Titel: RE: Re: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 06:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

kde control center -> system administration --> font installer

login with your root password to set the system fonts, then just import all the ones you want from your xp by clicking 'ad fonts' and navigating to where your xp fonts are located.

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Re: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 06:52 Uhr

Thanks man Smilie

piper
Titel: RE: Re: Fonts in Kanotix versus other distros  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.07.2006, 16:41 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Yup, I just grab tahoma off of XP, i switch off between that and freesans both in bold and my system looks better than exPerience font wise. Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Paul.G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 02:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006

I put a post over in another part of the forum here: http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t ... rt-15.html

I tried to summarize everything so far for beginners that has worked for me, there's also some 'news' that Jim.C seems to have reported already in this thread. There is also a vague solution on how I solved a mystery of disappearing text in GTK apps and Firefox.

Maybe an RC1 of a how-to for Debian/Kanotix fonts? I'd be glad of a single place where any new solutions can be added by anyone who finds them....

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 22:08 Uhr

Paul.G hat folgendes geschrieben::
I put a post over in another part of the forum here: http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t ... rt-15.html

404 Not Found ... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

edit: ha! ...
http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... p;start=15

JimC
Titel: Linux Libertine Open Fonts offers free Times Roman alternati  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.08.2006, 18:29 Uhr

NewsForge has a link to this story today:

Linux Libertine Open Fonts offers free Times Roman alternative

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.