28.03.2024, 20:03 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
leonsk
Titel: Cannot install Google Earth linux beta  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 14:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Apr 2005
I downloaded the GoogleEarthLinux.bin file today. In Terminal logged in as su, did chmod, then ./Google..etc. Started the installation OK, uncompressed, then:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

How to fix this?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 14:41 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Do you need to execute as root or will user suffice?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Neuer_User
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 15:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Nov 2004

Just forget the "su" and do everything as normal user. The installer just unpacks the bin-archive and stores it in one of the users directory, from where it can easily be run.

Btw, I wouldn't assign root priviledges to any program I just downloaded from somewhere on the net, so I'm quite happy that this is not necessary with Google Earth. Winken

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.07.2006, 16:37 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
The error your getting is most likely you are trying to run an app from a terminal as something like "root"

Recommended configuration

* Kernel 2.6 or later
* glibc 2.3.5 w/ NPTL or later
* x.org R6.7 or later
* System Memory (RAM): 512MB
* Hard Disk: 2GB free space
* Network Speed: 768 Kbits/sec
* Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 32MB of VRAM
* Screen: 1280x1024, 32 bit color

1) Go to Google Earth Beta (Version 4) and verify that your hardware/software meets requirements. Download it for Linux and make it executable

2) As user open a terminal and then cd into the directory where the .bin file resides. example: cd /home/piper

3) type ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin (note the ./ before the command... this is required when running ANYTHING from a location not in your path.

4) Follow onscreen instructions.

To use the app go to kmenu > internet > google earth

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 01:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
Piper,

I downloaded and tried to install per your instructions and got permission denied. I reread your recommeded configuration and realized I didn't really read it. I have easter-rc4 which I downloaded and installed yesterday and all of the hardware is good. What is and how do I get glibc and x.org? I am trying to get kpackage installed because of the way adept is (not) working.

Thanks,

John

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 06:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
jbs ... if you've installed easter-rc4 then you should have everything including xorg. (Don't do a dist-upgrade or it may take away kde)

Doing instruction 3 above will give you a permission denied unless you make the file executable ... after you do "cd /home/johny" do "chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin" and then "./GoogleEarthLinux.bin"

jbs1136
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 07:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
Worked like a charm. Thank you very much.
I think I need to read up on chmod.

John

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.