19.04.2024, 03:10 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
h2
Titel: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.07.2006, 20:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

A while ago a poster said he had to leave kanotix because his wife needed to have flash 8 support for some site or other.

I couldn't find his thread, but here's how you get flash 8 running, very easily:

Go to ies4linux, grab the latest 2.x version, download it, unzip it, run the ies4linux installer file.

That will ask you a few questions. That's it.

It will download msie 6 and flash 8 by default, also 5.5 and 5, which sometimes will run sites that break on 6, but this latest version is pretty good I have to say.

Load the site that you couldn't play in msie, and that's it. Obviously, don't use msie for daily browsing, it sucks, and isn't nearly as robust under wine, but then again, it can't really install any spyware on your box either, wine runs it under a protected bottle, so called.

I'd be curious to see how the sites you were having issues with handle msie + flash 8 + linux. the display flickers much more, be warned, it's not perfect, but it does seem to be working, and it works much better than I would have expected it to. I don't know if sound works, didn't test that, I never use flash sound anyway, but check it out and let us know what the limits are.

I hadn't used msie for a while, the old ies4linux had broken under some wine update, and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it til today. Which means also today was the first day I saw a popup ad in I don't know how mahy months. Ies4linux aren't crashing like they used to, at least not as frequently.

I assume things like windows media player plugin dependent pages will not work however.

<added>the page that JimC said wouldn't work without flash 8 is playing, sound is working, image flickers, but it's working fine, no crashes. that's the fan on comcast.net

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
hubi
Titel: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 00:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Thanks for this link, tried it, and it works. But: no sound.

Just wanted it for www.spiegel.de (they offer their videos through flash8).

Hence: i'll kick it again, and I continue to use FF in w2k through vmplayer for those vids.

hubi

Edit: stupid me uses FF in w2k of course.

h2
Titel: RE: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 01:03 Uhr

I'm watching and listening to a der spiegel flash 8 thing as I type this. Check your settings, it works.
http://www.spiegel.de/videoplayer/0,6298,12125,00.html
for example.

kernel 2.6.16.16, dist-upgrade as of a few days ago on system.

Sound is very good, video jerky and choppy. But it works. Look into it, I didn't do anything special to get it working, it just worked. I use alsa sound as my default sound handler.

I accepted all the default options in ies4linux, and of course installed them as my user name, not root.

hubi
Titel: RE: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 01:47 Uhr

Had sound on "automatic", and no module snd-pcm-oss installed (does not work since a few kernels). So sound might really have been changed in the kernel, i have to use aoss for wrapping audacity but also the browsers to listen to "normal" pre-8 flash-stuff. I think it startet with 2.6.16.20.

The Spiegel-Vids are choppy in Windows as well (maybe their servers are a bit ... weak).

Greetings
hubi

edit: grammar

h2
Titel: RE: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 03:34 Uhr

Tried it on another box, installed kernel 2.6.17-kanotix-1 to see if there are any later kernel type issues, sound is fine there too. alsa default again, everything standard, no problems.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 07:59 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
Thanks h2. Very impressed. That script rivals Kano's and that's saying something.
The animations are a bit wierd at times but at least they run. Some sites simply wouldn't load because I didn't have flash8. Could somebody please have a look at this site and see if it's wierd to you or just me?
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/
(Yes, yes, sony sucks, I know)

Now if macromedia would get off their arses and port flash8 to linux we could just use firefox and kiss this IE crap goodbye.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 20:03 Uhr

that site is playing on msie 6 with flash 8, very flickery, but it works.

Ies4linux is definitely an impressive script, it solved one of the bigger problems for me in terms of actually switching full time to linux, I need to test in MSIE windows when I make websites/pages, it's not optional. And msie installation previous to ies4linux was not easy in wine, I'd tried it before and failed.

Also check out page 2 of this thread for another way to get flash 8, or even 9, running. That's using firefox in wine then having it install flash 8/9 using its plugin manager.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 04:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Can I assume that this won't work for sites where activex is needed?

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 04:52 Uhr
Artist
Artist

It installed activex as well, I assume it works. Very impressive.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 06:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Yes indeed, the installation was quite flawless. I was trying to run a stock trading program which unfortunately couldn't run completely. I'm sure for less demanding purposes IE should run pretty well.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 06:48 Uhr
Artist
Artist

I have one thing that I really want IE for and that is yahoo launchcast. I managed to get it to load the player and it gave me the initial ad but it stalled when trying to actually connect to my station. Oh well, it's getting closer.

hubi
Titel: Re: RE: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 06:57 Uhr

h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Tried it on another box, installed kernel 2.6.17-kanotix-1 to see if there are any later kernel type issues, sound is fine there too. alsa default again, everything standard, no problems.
h2,
thank you for that information, I'll try the install script then on my HP, where I do not have any Windows on vmware.

hubi

JimC
Titel: Did anyone actually get this to work well?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 15:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

I've tried installing IEs4Linux in several Linux distros lately, and all I get is very choppy video trying to play Flash 8 content on our ISP's home page at http://www.comcast.net

I get the same thing (very choppy, virtually unusable video) trying the Windows Version of Firefox under Wine with Flash 8.5 or 9 Player installed.

I asked about it in the IEs4Linux Forums 2 weeks ago. But, I never got any responses:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553

Does "The Fan" at http://www.comcast.net work correctly for anyone else using this solution?

I'm running Flash 9 Player under IE6 (and I've also tried IE 5 and 5.5, as I installed both of those also when asked by the script). Same problem with all of them.

JimC
Titel: Re: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 17:03 Uhr

h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
<added>the page that JimC said wouldn't work without flash 8 is playing, sound is working, image flickers, but it's working fine, no crashes. that's the fan on comcast.net

"Flickers' is being polite. It's unusable on my PC (see my previous post in this thread).

Have you found otherwise?

I do remember seeing a post somewhere that newer versions of Wine may not work as well trying to use IE6 under Linux. But, I haven't tried going back to any older versions yet.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: Flash 8 on Linux using IEs4Linux  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 20:07 Uhr

choppy is correct, no doubt. Jagged, raw, etc. But you can see the stuff, and the sound is fine.

I'd try the firefox in wine running flash 9 first I think, that I suspect will give better results.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 20:27 Uhr

I tried that, too (Firefox under Wine).

Same results. Video is virtually unusable (very choppy) trying to see the content using 'The Fan" at http://www.comcast.net

For it's intended purpose (testing of web site usability in IE), IEs4Linux is probably a good tool. For actually watching Flash 8 Content in IE, it doesn't appear to be usable (at least not on my PC), unless I'm missing something in the Wine Config somewhere (I tried a few different options though, like changing OS versions, and it didn't seem to help anything).

I have seen a few posts on older versions of Wine working better with IE. But, I haven't tried that approach yet.

I'm wondering if Flash 8 Player may be a better option, too. Ies4Linux is installing Flash 9 Player by default now.

I may or may not spend more time on it, unless someone has a suggestion that seems to work for them (smooth versus *very* choppy video).

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 21:01 Uhr

I wouldn't spend more time on it, it's wasted time. Wine is very rarely a good solution, it's just a work around, a temporary fix while you wait for a real linux native application to handle the job.

Flash 9 will I guess be released for Linux unless MS 'convinces' adobe/macromedia to not release it, that would be right in line with their published idea of creating and controlling proprietary data formats in order to keep people locked into the windows platform.

Personally, I don't care, I hate flash, although there are a few places I see it done well, like when it's used to just play simple movies, that's decent.

Flash is just flash, one of the better named applications out there.

And this type of thing simply confirms the long term dangers of getting locked into any proprietary data format, no matter how popular it is.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 21:43 Uhr

I'm not particulary fond of Flash either.

But, my wife bugs me from time to time about it. So, I decided to try a few of the solutions I've seen posted here to try and find an acceptable solution for her to play Flash 8 content (other than switching her back to Windows). lol

As for Flash 9 for Linux, I'm not "holding my breath".

A product manager promised a new Flash Player for LInux here (in December 2005 -- which is actually quoting the promise made earlier in 2005).

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/emmy/arch ... _there.cfm

and again here (in May 2006)

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/emmy/arch ... nia_th.cfm

I'm wondering if we'll see another update explaining why it's still not available in another 5 or 6 months?

Maybe Flash 11 for Windows will be out by the time we see a Flash 9 Player for Linux Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.