28.03.2024, 13:27 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 00:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

Yep... They announced that a while back, but it was not very clear if everything was supported as 16 bit or not. As of version 9, remaining issues supporting plugins, etc, from 8 to 16 bit *should* be resolved.

I'm still trying to find a Linux Desktop I can live with (trying too many distros lately). As soon as I settle on one (debating between SimplyMEPIS 6.0 final and Kanotix 2006-easter-rc4 using the UP kernel), I'll try to take some time to test image editing solutions.

I've been going back and forth between them over the past couple of weeks (trying a few other distros in between).

In any event, I'm confident that a Linux solution is possible (including full color management using available tools). It's just a matter of what Linux distro I'm going to be comfortable using. MS can kiss my you know what.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 09:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::
Yep... They announced that a while back,

I'm still trying to find a Linux Desktop I can live with (trying too many distros lately). .

Jim,

I was just saying that it was now in the Debian repros. As for trying lots of distros, well that is the beauty of Linux but you may well end up confused and it is to a certain extent non-productive. Any distro can be made to look identical to another so you can configure any distro to give the desktop you like. What is more important is what is under the hood, how easy it is to configure, update, install software, how stable, what is support via the forums like etc. I know you have had problems with fonts but that is resolvable. Meppis is using Ubuntu repros, I think this is a backward step and may posiblly exclude using software from a lot of Debian repros. For example Digikam 9 beta is in Sid but is it avallable for Ubuntu/Meppis. I notice there is a lot less press about Ubuntu lately, maybe more people are seeing it's limitations.

Look forward to your comments on the latest Digikam.

Ian

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.07.2006, 19:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

Ian:

Actually, I have been trying a LOT of distros over the past couple of years.

My short list usually includes Kanotix and SimplyMEPIS.

I'm actually running under Ubuntu right this minute (I haven't spent much time with the Gnome interface), and just finished installing a lot of extras using Automatix.

I solved the fonts problem. It had to do with web sites coded to use Microsoft Fonts. The standard msttcorefonts does not include some of the fonts that were being used by some web sites I frequent often. So, by installing missing fonts, the problem was solved.

Right this minute, Kanotix 2006-easter.rc4 (using the UP kernel) holds the record for the longest I've ever used a Linux Distro without rebooting into Windows. Smilie The default kernel was not stable on my PC and wouldn't work with my Belkin USB Wireless G Adapter (RT2570 chipset), but the UP kernel worked quite well.

But, I want to give SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final and Ubuntu and good workout, too before I stop playing around with various distros.

To be frank, SimplyMEPIS is the most attractive to me, because it requires the least amount of work to get everything working for me (and I like the "look and feel" of it's default desktop much better than most). It's also the easiest distro to install I've ever used (by a long shot). My wife has been running under it for quite a while now (one version or another), although I did switch her back to Windows briefly last year due to problems with a new printer.

But, I haven't decided on a distro for full time use yet.

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 22:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
Does there exist a successor for gexif? It really had nice features like manipulating the exif entries and the thumbnail.

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 21:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

There's an article on linux raw image editing in linux.com that might be of interest to some people.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.