28.03.2024, 17:46 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
rossi
Titel: Installation Problems with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 03:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

DearKanotix People:

I am really angry by now.

It's about 10:00 pm in the evening, and I have tried unsuccessfully to install KANOTIX Easter-Preview RC4 (May 14 2006) two times. This is my fourth time overall.

What a waste of my time!

Below is the most recent advice I obtained from a previous post:

"You'd be better off starting with kanotix-2006-easter-rc4 (preview to the left). This would have the correct authentication keys and would also avoid the xorg7 update. (use fix-script wget -Nc http://kanotix.com/files/fix-xorg7.sh and run it after dist-upgrade - see site/forum for more information - this is what's probably caused most of your problems). There was also a dbus / hal problem that the later preview release would solve."

FORGET IT !!!!!!

I tried the above receipe twice and got the exact same results.

I am trying to install Kanotix on an IBM ThinkPad T23.

Let's assume for the moment I am not an idiot. In fact, I recently left the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center where I was involved with high performance computing and teaching scientists at customer sites how to use IBM POWER5 systems for a position as a professor at the City University of New York.

This experience makes me long for AIX.

Just what is going on? How do you make this work?

I am looking at my T23 that is now hanging on reboot after anapt-get dist-upgrade. This is what the colsole says:

Synthesizing the iinitial hotplug events .../etc/rcS.d/ line 259 ... command not found

Starting K Display Manager: kdm
Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.
INIT Id "6" respawning to fast : disabled for 5 minutes.

I would like to do some research before the summer is over.

Can one of the Kanotix wizzards tell me what is really going on here?

This is really unacceptable and frankly disappointing.

Angelo R. Rossi

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jiro
Titel: RE: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 03:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005
Beiträge: 258

1. calm down, learn some manners: you're "really angy with Kanotix"??? exactly how much money did you pay for this supposedly defective OS??? or does someone owe you something??? maybe you're frustrated b/c you're having trouble despite your background, but put a sock in it. you're more likely to get someone to freely give of their time and expertise if you don't start off with an attitude

2. let's start with the basics: did the LiveCD boot up correctly? did the original install complete successfully? since you seem to identify a dist-upgrade as the source of your problem, it seems likely that your original install went well. if so, use it - dist-upgrading is not necessary to productively use kanotix. that is for those who want to have "cutting edge" software and don't mind occasionally breaking their system. if you need to do productive work - "research" - then don't dist-upgrade

3. if you insist on dist-upgrading (many do) then know that sometimes your system will break and you will need to figure out a fix - hopefully by finding it posted on this forum. but no one on this forum is going to give you anything equivalent to paid 24/7 support - if you want/need that level of support, you're better off buying a commercial linux distro like SUSE or Red Hat

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Zode
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 03:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jul 2005
Beiträge: 30

Angelo,

I have been running Kanotix for about a year on an IBM Thinkpad A31, 1.8 GHz P4 with 1GB RAM. This is not too dissimilar from your T23. I first ran the 2005-03 release, then I installed the 2005-04 release. I only ran the released version, and I never attempted an apt-get dist upgrade, because I knew that this would be risky and unnecessary.

From your other posts, you have installed Kanotix on a Thinkpad T41, a Thinkpad T23, and some dual-core Intel machine. After they were installed, you messed with them to try to put the latest unstable code on them.

Please note the section entitled "Stable Releases" on the Kanotix home page, and try one of those, and once it is installed, don't mess with it unnecessarily.

Let's assume I am not an idiot...I was with IBM for 21 years before delving into the world of Linux, and I've seen numerous examples of the "if it ain't broke..." rule in action.

Try installing 2005-04 on your T23 and then use it...without messing with a dist upgrade. Then, wait for Kano to release 2006-01 or whatever it will be called, and upgrade or reinstall at that time.

If you're going to do research, you probably need a system based on the most stable platform, not bleeding-edge Debian Unstable via a dist-upgrade.

Best Regards.

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 04:05 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Beiträge: 1544
Wohnort: out there somewhere
I agree, if you are doing research and can't mess up your system DON'T use dist-upgrade or simply use Debian Sarge

_________________
h2's d-u script
h2's rdiff-backup script

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
bluewater
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 04:19 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 04. Apr 2006
Beiträge: 153
Wohnort: Melbourne, Australia
Angelo

Looks like youve been having trouble left right and centre.

One thing to be very carfuk of is how you burn the Kanotix ISO, as an incoreect method often is the case of most initial install problems.

You need to burn the ISO an an image,, not data this method is called DAO

DAO stands for Disc At Once.The recorder burns the entire disc in one session.Kanotix uses high compression technology (not the same Knoppix does);special care is needed when burning the CD;use high quality CD-media [or DVD+RW] and burn in DAO-mode not faster than 8x.

If you ae using a MS operating system make it easy and go to http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html and download a very small app called Burn CDCC , it can only burn in an ISO format..

If you using Nero, ensure the the the burn is marked as DAO, the button to choose the method to burn is not the easiest to find if you are rushing.

PS Dont rush to do a d-u.. just do an apt-get update and DL any extra apps you want to use. and wait for the final to come out, it may save you breaking the install

_________________
Kanotix Easter RC4 on a dual boot P4 and a production box Desktop KDE::
Kanotix 2006 Easter RC4 on a P2 and Production Box , Desktop KDE::
Kanotix EasterRC4 on a MMX 199Mhz lappy
and a Production Box, Desktop ICEWM::

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 05:47 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
Beiträge: 3087
Wohnort: berlin
rossi,
i told you last night how to get the keys easily: again:
apt-get install kanotix-keyrings
nothing to be angry about, just for yer security.
so please come down.
i told you about the xorg transition as well, and what to do about it.
so why not use these solutions instead of bitching about?

greetz
devil

_________________
<<We are Xorg - resistance is futile - you will be axximilated>>

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 08:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
Beiträge: 275
Wohnort: Paris-France
Either you are really unlucky or you are doing the same mistakes again and again.
Since you claim to be an expert you should know the keys are not critical ...
Did you dist-upgrade with X open?
What were your exact steps? try substituting some detail in place of sarcasm ?

Zitat:
I would like to do some research before the summer is over.

Well you could start by looking at the xorg log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log , providing us with the details of your graphics card and not bother with the dist-upgrade until you are more familiar and sure everything is working.

Try a lspci -v to get the details of your graphics card.

Remember noone is being paid for this support, quoting IBM model numbers and expecting us to look up the spec is not a good way to get help...

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
horo
Titel: Re: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 09:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Beiträge: 700
Wohnort: Berlin
rossi hat folgendes geschrieben::
I am looking at my T23 that is now hanging on reboot after anapt-get dist-upgrade. This is what the colsole says:

Synthesizing the iinitial hotplug events .../etc/rcS.d/ line 259 ... command not found

did your a-g d-u finish _WITHOUT_ any error message?
It's important that you fix any errors _before_ doing a reboot, because your system may be in an inconsistant state. I ran into this problem _once_ in my life and had to use the live-cd to fix it.
Boot live-cd
get your network running
mount your / partition (e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt)
chroot /mnt
apt-get -f install
- maybe you have to do some fixes (multicd???) - ask here or at irc (#kanotix) - fix them
errors about /dev/null aren't fatal - ignore them
^D
umount /mnt
cross your fingers - reboot (from hd)
from console _WITHOUT_ running X (init 2) do a-g u and a-g d-u

HTH

Ciao Martin

_________________
omnia vincit pecunia

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 09:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Beiträge: 2069
Wohnort: w3
IBM T23 is fully supported - I hav installed Kanotix on a bunch of these machines for a client without any problems.
So, for these (obscure) problems there are just a few possible reasons:

a) Bad Burn
As said above, burn on good quality CD-R in DAO mode not faster than 8x, and check the md5sum afterwards (do it, really!)

b) Hardware Defect
Always possible, notebook hard drives don't live forever - check it with a low level tool from the manufacturer (or use the free SeaTools, which handles most hdd quite well)

c) Bios Bug
Yes, notebook bios is often buggy. You might not recognizing it while using Win, but Linux and newer kernels are very strict about correct bios. Get the latest update for your bios from IBM, apply default settings, and try again. If you still have problems, try one of the various cheat codes at boot time (irqpoll in your case, most likely).

d) Dist-Upgrade
As mentioned already above - there is no reason at all to dist-upgrade the Easter edition by now, if you don't want to experiment.

e) Community Style
We are a community of volunteers - everybody here is striving hard to deliver a fine free open source operating system, together with great free support. So, keep that in mind before you write.

Zitat:
Let's assume for the moment I am not an idiot. In fact, I recently left the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center where I was involved with high performance computing and teaching scientists at customer sites how to use IBM POWER5 systems for a position as a professor at the City University of New York.

Well, be assured that most people here ar no idiots, either. Winken

Greetings,
Chris

_________________
"An operating system must operate."

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel: Re: RE: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 14:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

[quote="jiro"]1. calm down, learn some manners: you're "really angy with Kanotix"??? exactly how much money did you pay for this supposedly defective OS??? or does someone owe you something??? maybe you're frustrated b/c you're having trouble despite your background, but put a sock in it. you're more likely to get someone to freely give of their time and expertise if you don't start off with an attitude

No comment.

2. let's start with the basics: did the LiveCD boot up correctly?
yes
did the original install complete successfully?
yes
since you seem to identify a dist-upgrade as the source of your problem, it seems likely that your original install went well.
yes
if so, use it - dist-upgrading is not necessary to productively use kanotix. that is for those who want to have "cutting edge" software and don't mind occasionally breaking their system. if you need to do productive work - "research" - then don't dist-upgrade
I want dist-upgrade. That's one reason for turning to Kanotix.

3. if you insist on dist-upgrading (many do) then know that sometimes your system will break and you will need to figure out a fix - hopefully by finding it posted on this forum. but no one on this forum is going to give you anything equivalent to paid 24/7 support - if you want/need that level of support, you're better off buying a commercial linux distro like SUSE or Red Hat[
There's something wrong with this argument. I want to use Kanotix, and I want it to work.

/quote]

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 14:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

> did your a-g d-u finish _WITHOUT_ any error message?

No. there were two errors associated with vim

>It's important that you fix any errors _before_ doing a reboot, because your system may be in >an inconsistant state. I ran into this problem _once_ in my life and had to use the live-cd to >fix it.
>Boot live-cd
>get your network running
>mount your / partition (e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt)
>chroot /mnt
>apt-get -f install
> maybe you have to do some fixes (multicd???) - ask here or at irc (#kanotix) - fix them
>errors about /dev/null aren't fatal - ignore them
^D
>umount /mnt
>cross your fingers - reboot (from hd)
>from console _WITHOUT_ running X (init 2) do a-g u and a-g d-u

>HTH

>Ciao Martin
I will try this.

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
kb0hae
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 14:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005
Beiträge: 124

Hi Rossi. You seem to be missing a point here. If you dist upgrade, sometimes you will have problems. Some of these problems will not be easy to fix. Sometimes the only fix is to wait until the problem package is fixed. I have been using Kanotix for about 9 months now, and reading the forums for that long. The folks who have answered your post know what they are talking about! If you just want Kanotix to work without problems, don't dist-upgrade.

Why do you want dist upgrade so badly when you know it can cause problems? Being on the "bleeding edge" means that you have problems ocassionally. You really can't have it both ways. Sorry, but thats reality.

We all get frustrated with some aspect of computers and operating systems from time to time. When I get frustrated, I have learned to step back from the problem. I watch a movie, or listen to some music for a while. Then I try to find the answer to the problem myself before posting here. Maybe you have tried all these things, to no avail. Getting angry does not help. I have learned that it is best to calm down and think before sending an email or posting to a forum.

Just my $.02 Sehr glücklich

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Really Angry with Kanotix  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 14:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

>i told you last night how to get the keys easily: again:
>apt-get install kanotix-keyrings
>nothing to be angry about, just for yer security.
>so please come down.
i>told you about the xorg transition as well, and what to do about it.
>so why not use these solutions instead of bitching about?

I am not sure I understand.

After reading your previous note as well as another response, I decided to use the May 11, 2006 release of Kanotix and avoided the xorg upgrade and the need for keys. In my previous attempt, I used the older release of Kanotix. That's when the key problem arose.

In any case, both installs failed. What am I missing here? Angelo

greetz
devil

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 16:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004
Beiträge: 525

Rossi,

Can you explain what 'both installs failed' means? Is everything working in LiveCD mode before you install? What partitions and in what formats have you set up your HD prior to install? Have you tested the Cds in LiveCD mode - testcd boot parameter is one way of self-testing the CDs.

I'm no expert, but have installed both versions successfully on a number of computers. The only 'failure' I've had was when I set a 7MB partion for installation instead of 7GB! Verlegen The installation took about 5 seconds . . . but didn't work!

drb

_________________
Kernel 2.6.21-slh-up-7
_____________________

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 23:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005
Beiträge: 106

rossi hat folgendes geschrieben::

Let's assume for the moment I am not an idiot. In fact, I recently left the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center where I was involved with high performance computing and teaching scientists at customer sites how to use IBM POWER5 systems for a position as a professor at the City University of New York.

Here's my advice to you, kind sir:

Down at the bottom to the right there is an icon marked 'Delete this post'. You would do well to use it. If the CUNY hiring committee gets hold of your intemperate articulations (not to mention your display of technical savviness), your career as a professor is finished before it even started.

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 01:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

Dear drb:

>Can you explain what 'both installs failed' means?
Both installs using the older and newer Easter releasesworked perfectly. What I meant to say is that both apt-get update-all trials really did clobber the system. It wouldn't boot afterward.

>Is everything working in LiveCD >mode before you install?
Yes.

>What partitions and in what formats have you set up your >HD prior to install?
/dev/hda1 - primary partition 91.36GB
/dev/hda5 - logical partion - linux swap - 1.80 GB

Have you tested the Cds in LiveCD mode - testcd boot parameter is one way of self-testing the CDs.
Yes. They work fine.

>I'm no expert, but have installed both versions successfully on a number of >computers. The only 'failure' I've had was when I set a 7MB partion for installation >instead of 7GB! Verlegen The installation took about 5 seconds . . . but didn't work!
Both installations DID work. I should have said the updates didn't.

Thank you.

Regards,

Angelo

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 02:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

Dear Bluewater:

>One thing to be very carfuk of is how you burn the Kanotix ISO, as an incoreect >method often is the case of most initial install problems.

>You need to burn the ISO an an image,, not data this method is called DAO

>DAO stands for Disc At Once.The recorder burns the entire disc in one >session.Kanotix uses high compression technology (not the same Knoppix >does);special care is needed when burning the CD;use high quality CD-media [or >DVD+RW] and burn in DAO-mode not faster than 8x.
Thank you for this excellent advice. I reburned the CD according to your instructions and did it vey carefully.

>If you ae using a MS operating system make it easy and go to >http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html and download a very small app called >Burn CDCC , it can only burn in an ISO format..

>If you using Nero, ensure the the the burn is marked as DAO, the button to choose >the method to burn is not the easiest to find if you are rushing.
I used k3b on a knoppix machine I have.

>PS Dont rush to do a d-u.. just do an apt-get update and DL any extra apps you >want to use. and wait for the final to come out, it may save you breaking the install
I really did think this would be easy since Kanotix is based on Debian unstable to begin with. I thought that the skew between the installed distribution and the packages in the database wouldn't be that great.

Regards,

Angelo

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 02:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

Dear Chris:

>IBM T23 is fully supported - I have installed Kanotix on a bunch of these machines for >a client without any problems.
Kanotix installed perfectly for me. When I performed dist-upgrade I got into problems.

>So, for these (obscure) problems there are just a few possible reasons:
>a) Bad Burn
>As said above, burn on good quality CD-R in DAO mode not faster than 8x, and >check the md5sum afterwards (do it, really!)
I can't be sure that my original CD was the problem. But I burned another according to the above directions.

>b) Hardware Defect
>Always possible, notebook hard drives don't live forever - check it with a low level >tool from the manufacturer (or use the free SeaTools, which handles most hdd quite >well)
This is interesting that you brought this up. I bought a used T23 before I left IBM and Red Hat 9 was installed. The hard drive failed recently, and I bought a new 100 GB hard drive and decided to move to Knoppix. Someone alerted me to Kanotix, and I jumped at it.

>c) Bios Bug
>Yes, notebook bios is often buggy. You might not recognizing it while using Win, but >Linux and newer kernels are very strict about correct bios. Get the latest update for >your bios from IBM, apply default settings, and try again. If you still have problems, >try one of the various cheat codes at boot time (irqpoll in your case, most likely).
Yeah. You are correct on this one. My BIOS is older than what is available, i.e
2004/08/06. I have an earlier BIOS.

>d) Dist-Upgrade
>As mentioned already above - there is no reason at all to dist-upgrade the Easter >edition by now, if you don't want to experiment.
I guess you are right on this.

>e) Community Style
>We are a community of volunteers - everybody here is striving hard to deliver a fine >free open source operating system, together with great free support. So, keep that >in mind before you write.
I understand this. I am willing to contribute. For example, the Kanotix manual could use some editing. I could do that. In addition, I have a small grant which is attached to a Visa card. I am willing to donate $250 using the card but need an invoice or receipt so that I can submit it for reconciliation.

>Well, be assured that most people here ar no idiots, either. Winken
I know this. I have been around long enough to recognize quality.

Kind regards,

Angelo

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rossi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 02:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2006
Beiträge: 20

Dear Zode:

>I have been running Kanotix for about a year on an IBM Thinkpad A31, 1.8 GHz P4 >with 1GB RAM. This is not too dissimilar from your T23. I first ran the 2005-03 >release, then I installed the 2005-04 release. I only ran the released version, and I >never attempted an apt-get dist upgrade, because I knew that this would be risky >and unnecessary.
Both of my installations went perfectly. When I tried the dist-upgrade, it didn't work the way I thought it would.

>From your other posts, you have installed Kanotix on a Thinkpad T41, a Thinkpad >T23, and some dual-core Intel machine. After they were installed, you messed with >them to try to put the latest unstable code on them.
I tried installing/updating the T23. I just used the Kanotix live CD on the T41. The new dual-core machines are giving me a problem with Kanotix. I need to see if the BIOS should be upgraded first on these (there are three of them).

>Please note the section entitled "Stable Releases" on the Kanotix home page, and try >one of those, and once it is installed, don't mess with it unnecessarily.
Kanotix installed perfectly. The dist-upgrade didn't work.

>Let's assume I am not an idiot...I was with IBM for 21 years before delving into the >world of Linux, and I've seen numerous examples of the "if it ain't broke..." rule in >action.
OK. But see last response.

>Try installing 2005-04 on your T23 and then use it...without messing with a dist >upgrade. Then, wait for Kano to release 2006-01 or whatever it will be called, and >upgrade or reinstall at that time.
Please see last response.

>If you're going to do research, you probably need a system based on the most stable >platform, not bleeding-edge Debian Unstable via a dist-upgrade.
I feel this comment is really counterintuitive to the spirit of using Kanotix. As a former IBMer, I am sure you heard something like who is the customer set for Kanotix? What is their goal or mission. I believe the goal or mission of Kanotix is to provide the most efficient Linux operating system based on the current available technology and resources.

I come from a High Performance Computing background where memory management, efficient cache handling, compiler efficiency are of paramount importance. That isn't available in Debian stable. NUMA isn't available in Debian stable. That's why Kanotix is so important. It fills a niche that other Linux systems don't (well SuSe and Red Hat enterprise do). But I think Kanotix has greater potential for this.

Regards,

Angelo

Best Regards.

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ironwalker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 03:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
Beiträge: 454
Wohnort: NYC/NJ Area
Rossi,
Please list the steps,in detail of what you are doing from booting the live-cd to installing.

This should help us better understanding where you are messing up.

Kudos to all the help this community has given in regards to this topic so far!

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 05:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005
Beiträge: 389

Seems to me that his installation works so there is no need to go back to those steps. The problem is with dist-upgrading.

May I suggest that you stick to the Easter Preview since it is only about 1 month old and use that if it gives you NUMA already - whatever that is. That's the simplest.

If you insist on dist-upgrading, then please follow the recommended steps:

ctrl-alt-F1 (to get to text mode)
(log in as root)
init 3 (to kill X)
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

You will probably get problems with X. Just tell us the error messages and we can point you to the workarounds. Or look in General Support and find out yourself. Most problems (and solutions) with dist-upgrading are reported there.

Of course if you have done all the above and your problem is that the computer won't boot at all (what you said above to drb) rather than X won't start, then please ignore this reply... Smilie

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 05:43 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
Beiträge: 3087
Wohnort: berlin
rossi,
let me get something straight here.
you mentioned above, that you didnt think, the gap between kanotix and sid was so big. it isnt at all.
kanotix is pure sid as it comes, upgradable every day with newest packages. additionaly there is a kanotix repo with some stuff that makes life easier (installer, kanotix-kernelhacking etc) plus a handfull (or two) of usefull scripts (like the ones to install ATI or Nvidia drivers etc)
dist-upgrade in SID can always brake things, not only in kanotix. as soon as i know of a problem in dist-upgrade, i will put it as a warning in the news, and a few later there will be a workaround or a solution to this. not too long ago i.e we went through a heavy transition with xorg moving from xorg 6.9 (monolithic) to xorg 7 (modular). that gave us a hard time for weeks (as you can still see in the news) getting people back into x after dist-upgrade. there was a few fixes needed to solves these glitches. lots of paths had to be adjusted and so on. some of these errors may still occure with easter-preview when dist-upgrading. so, if you can give us errors from /var/log/Xorg 0.log, we can name the needed fix easily.
a good way to get these things solved, is, to come to #kanotix. at most times you will find competent and helpfull people there that fix things in no time.
so, to conclude all this, for what you need, easter-preview should be current enough and no need to dist-upgrade.
of course you are always welcome to contribute with what you can. i will get you informed on a receit for a possible donation as well.

greetz
devil

_________________
<<We are Xorg - resistance is futile - you will be axximilated>>

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
horo
Titel: WATCH YOUR STEP!  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 10:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Beiträge: 700
Wohnort: Berlin
rossi hat folgendes geschrieben::
> did your a-g d-u finish _WITHOUT_ any error message?

No. there were two errors associated with vim

That was your problem!
a-g d-u isn't evil but you have to do it with care.
It's always A_BAD_THING (tm) if a-g d-u stops with an error. Some debs are replaced but not configured correctly and you end up with a non working system - even if the errror mentions only a not so important package like vim. a-g d-u stops totally if it encounters an error - it doesn't skip over to the next packages. So you get many unconfigured packages - some of them will stop your system from booting correctly.

DON'T REBOOT IF a-g d-u STOPS WITH ERROR(S) - ALWAYS FIX THEM!

Ciao Martin

_________________
omnia vincit pecunia

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ironwalker
Titel: RE: WATCH YOUR STEP!  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 23:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
Beiträge: 454
Wohnort: NYC/NJ Area
I guess the exact error messages or any stop messages from dist-upgrade would be a place to start.Post them here so we can help.

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mcrofutt
12 Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 01:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 28. Aug 2005
Beiträge: 31
Wohnort: NE Texas,USA
[quote="ice"][quote="rossi"]
LetI just am surprised that ANYONE so "educated" would post something with all the BAD SPELLING that this post has in it! Now I'm not college educated at all, but I "lernt" how to spell in grade school! If you're "gonna" have an attitude, AT LEAST spell it right!..

_________________
You are where you are, because THAT'S where you WANNA be!

 Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden MSN Messenger
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:
Gehe zu:
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.