28.03.2024, 23:29 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Delphi123
Titel: Kanotix Install Impossible -- Please Help!  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.04.2006, 21:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Apr 2006
Dear friends:

After reading about Kanotix, I was very impressed and decided to try it. I have had experience with Red Hat, Mandrake, Xandros, Debian and PCLinuxOS. Yet, I am completely stumped by the HD install of Kanotix. I am used to Diskdrake, but Kanotix's install is like out of Mars. I've been trying for the past two hours to figure it out and have failed utterly to make any headway.

Here is what I would like for my install:

I have two physical hard disks, each 40 GB (hda and hdb). I would like to use BOTH with Kanotix. So, I am perfectly willing to use just two partitions: swap (1024 MB) and / for all the rest. But first I have to delete and format everything else on the two hard drives.

I have tried to follow the step by step instructions in English on your site. They seem to be quite clear, but I have tried and tried and can't get anywhere, not even to first base.

I would really appreciate your kind help. Perhaps if you live in the U. S. you could call me and we could go through the routine. Couldn't take more than a few minutes in view of my very basic installation setup.

By the way, do I need to download the 80MB or 233MB patch?

And, by the way, is it possible to upgrade to KDE 3.5.2?

Thank you all so much.

If you are willing to call me, please let me know in your reply and send me your email address, where I can include my telephone number.

Thanks again.

I do have, in all due respect, one question out of curiosity: how can Kanotix build a rock solid distro based on Debian Sid, i.e. Debian Unstable? Is there some magic that the developers do to make this possible. Just wondering.

But what a great distro it seems to be! Looking forward to trying it out.

Benjamin

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Kanotix Install Impossible -- Please Help!  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.04.2006, 23:11 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
ben,
first of all, do you have an older release of kanotix, so you could use the patch?
if not, you best get the newest 2006 easter preview released just today. it has xorg 7 and kde 3.5.2 and all latest packages as of today. you can find it to your left in the tracker under previews.
burn it in disk at once mode and not faster tnan 8x speed.
then boot the life-cd and go to the second menu from the left in kicker, start the installer and follow instructions. no big deal.
if you need more help, ask.
and yes, it´s the best i´ve seen.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.04.2006, 00:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Benjamin,

I live in Nashville and yes, Kanotix is a great distro. I concur with Devil-- download the latest version, burn it to a CD and install it. If you don't have a broadband connection, I'll burn a copy for you and mail the CD to you.

I thought Kano's installer was straightforward. Here's a good page to consult:
http://linux.kopporama.de/en/kanotix_manual.html

Here's another:
http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63-newlang-eng.html

Zitat:
I do have, in all due respect, one question out of curiosity: how can Kanotix build a rock solid distro based on Debian Sid, i.e. Debian Unstable? Is there some magic that the developers do to make this possible. Just wondering.

Good question. I would respond that Kano is a brillant young man with some very smart friends. Kanotix is for enthusiastics though and probably shouldn't be run on a production/business machine, although I'm sure that some use it for that. I've broken my installation several times with untimely dist-upgrades, so now I upgrade selectively. Regardless, it is an outstanding distro and I have tried my share.

Michael

Delphi123
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.04.2006, 01:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Apr 2006
Dear Michael7 and Devil28:

First, my heartfelt thanks for your help and for you kind offer to send me a CD. Believe it or not , I finally figured things out. It's quite simple. So why did I panic?

Because when I tried to change the values in the mount boxes, the boxes seemed frozen to me. As for the expert mode Partition, it too seemed frozen and did not respond.

I have already installed Kanotix once and am VERY IMPRESSED. But as soon as my second install is completed, I'll download the latest Easter version. If so, I imagine that I won't need the patch. Right?

Everything done for the first time causes a certain amount of anxiety. You really have to do it at least twice (successfully) before you feel in control.

Thanks for the excellent comment about my question about a rock-solid unstable. I'll take your word for it.

By the way, there was a reference to some problem with desktop shortcuts in the Easter version. Will that be corrected by a patch or from Synaptic?

Thanks so much.

Benjamin

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
janice21475
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 06:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Jul 2006
Delphi123 hat folgendes geschrieben::
. . . .Believe it or not , I finally figured things out. It's quite simple. So why did I panic?

Because when I tried to change the values in the mount boxes, the boxes seemed frozen to me. As for the expert mode Partition, it too seemed frozen and did not respond.

. . . .

Benjamin

Maybe I am at the same spot you were when you first posted? Going through the installation, the second page (for lack of a better word) I see a place to select the partition I wish to install to, but no way to select it.

I have a 80 gig W/D drive with 3 partitions:
hda1=empty and formatted with ext3
hda3=win2K (C drive) fat32
hda4=data storage, fat32
hda5,6,7 are within a logical partition and are all fat32

I want to leave hda3 & 4 untouched and had hoped Kanotix would install on hda1. I have been reading other 'installation problem' threads and am a tad discouraged.

Communication is difficult, too. I am using an external Hayes modem. In XP & Ubuntu live-CD it is very fast, if I use it with the Kanotix live-CD I can not get faster than 9600. Dial-up is so much fun. I will check back here as often as I can.

Thanks for any help,
janice21475

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 06:39 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

janice,
you are lacking a swap partition. you need to create a swap partition first approximately 1.5x the size of you ram, but at least 512 mb.
are you sure, your ext3 is formated right?
please show the output of the following command:
sudo fdisk -l (its a small L)

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]

janice21475
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 07:06 Uhr

devil28 hat folgendes geschrieben::
janice,
you are lacking a swap partition. you need to create a swap partition first approximately 1.5x the size of you ram, but at least 512 mb.
are you sure, your ext3 is formated right?
please show the output of the following command:
sudo fdisk -l (its a small L)

greetz
devil

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I got from that command:
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 1272 10217308+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2 1273 5351 32764567+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3 * 5352 7260 15334042+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda4 7261 9729 19832242+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda5 1273 2546 10233373+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 2547 3834 10345828+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda7 3835 5351 12185271 b W95 FAT32

Disk /dev/sda: 517 MB, 517521408 bytes
128 heads, 32 sectors/track, 246 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4096 * 512 = 2097152 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 247 505375+ 4 FAT16 <32M
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(249, 127, 32) logical=(246, 98, 31)
------

I am maintaing hope for this installation. After reading the FAQ in installation and the one that had the pictures (thanks very much for that one) I think I should just delete the W2K I have on that drive and make a dual boot using my WinXP. That may make things go smoother. I will make the 'swap' partition, too.

I'll check back shortly but since it is 2 AM here, I may put off doing all that work until morning.

cheers,
janice

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 07:39 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

janice,
as you can see from the output of fdisk -l, there is no ext3 partition on hda1. it is formatted as fat.
maybe have a look at:
http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63.html#q418
that and the following artikle explains in detail how to partition/format a partition for linux.

greetz
devil

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 16:55 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Hi janice Smilie

If your going to keep "windows", keep at least 2 partitions for it, one for the OS itself (can be NTFS or Fat) and one for your apps (Fat for both linux and windows), and other things you don't want to lose or want to keep. Have one partition for swap, I believe you have 2 gigs of ram so a 512mb partition for your swap would be just fine. Make a reiserfs partition for kanotix (or for more distro's besides kanotix, make some more partitions Winken ) You can have a seperate partition for your apps, wallpaper, bookmarks,etc .. in linux with another reiserfs partition or keep it on your fat partition. I would have atleast 5 partitions for doing a dual-boot (2 for windows, 3 for linux including swap)

janice21475
Titel: all OK  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 20:31 Uhr

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::
. . . I would have atleast 5 partitions for doing a dual-boot (2 for windows, 3 for linux including swap). . .

Hello,

Followed your advice and that great link and got kanotix on my HD with no problems. I am loving it.

Thank you both for your help. Once I get my 'sea legs,' I imagine my husband will give it a go on his computer. Who knows, we might need more help then. Hopefully, I will be a quick study and be able to help him. That would be fun.

Once I get this computer all setup, I will browse the forums to learn more. Nice place you have here, always a pleasure to visit.

janice21475

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.