Oct 18, 2017 - 07:13 PM

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mipooh
Post subject: Native english speaking mods  PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 02:49 PM
Administrator
Administrator

I would prefer to have native english speaking moderators for the english part of this forum. I can speak and write in english, but it´s much easier for you.

Mit den Augen rollen

Reply with quote Back to top
rdt
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 11:49 PM

It might be easier for those not native German speaking if there were some way on the front page to select another language so one could read how to register.

prh
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2004 - 11:50 AM

@rdt,
you are living in the usa and don't understand english Frage
prh

mipooh
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 - 12:51 AM
Administrator
Administrator

In the first days of this forum the default language was german. I changed that after some days, as it is easier for german ppl to understand the menus in englisch than for english speaking ppl to understand it in german.

After editing the profile it can be german or english.

prh
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 - 09:44 PM

thx, I should know, that there exists for (nearly) everything a simple explanation.
ciao
prh

KanotixFan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2004 - 05:06 AM

What would a moderator do? Is there a technical level of linux needed to do this task? I'm almost a newbie but I'd like to help. Frage

Norbert
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2004 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

Quote:
Is there a technical level of linux needed to do this task?

Hmmmm, i think: no, it isn't.

Can you translate german in english?

@mipooh
Oder was meinst Du? Vorranging sollte er ja moderieren und nicht die Antworten schreiben Smilie, oder sehe ich da was falsch? Sicher wären Kenntnisse von Vorteil, aber zwingend erforderlich sind sie ja nicht. Jemand, der deutsch in französisch übersetzen kann, wäre auch nicht schlecht. Dann könnte man wenigstens noch eine französische Begrüßungsseite uppen.
Irgendwann müssen wir das mit den Mod´s angehen, die Zahlen steigen. kanotix.de hatte in den 20 Tagen vom Februar 600 MB Traffic, Tendenz: steigend Winken. Das Forum hat sicher noch viel mehr.
Kanotix wird langsam aber sicher bekannt.

Gowator
Post subject: mods or ???  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2004 - 03:20 PM

I guess you need people you know to be mods and want some native English ones!

However you could end up in an endless circle Sehr glücklich The English posts seem few and far between.
Also its not always good when something fractionates like the knoppix French site. I undersatand WHY, but how do they expect klaus to keep up?
p.s. If anyone needs french translating to english Im more than happy to do it so long as noone expects it to be perfect ...
Which brings me to this.,..
Non english people tell me english isn't so hard to write and be understood but my view is I can read and speak french fine but writing it is another matter. (I can get the jist in German and thats about it! )

How about making a non-mod helper category ... then you might stimulate some questions etc.

(Great distro. I love it already. Sehr glücklich )

AndyMcCoy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2004 - 03:26 PM

You think about something like a translater group?
No bad idea.

---------------------------------------
scio nescio Winken

mach mit

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Gowator
Post subject: english forum  PostPosted: Jun 10, 2004 - 04:07 PM

I dunno....
I really like kanotix... I mean my experience with knoppix was fantastic as a live CD but the HDD install left a few problems .... and kanotix solved them.

Its awesome but I dont speak German and the English part of the forum isnt really so big ! Heck kanotix is nearly so good Id learn german to use it Sehr glücklich bit not quite..... my father learned german as an Engineer in the 60's...

I dunno perhaps there are less English only speakers using kanotix or people who speak neither??

personally Im in France but id be more than happy with an english forum.... it is my mother tongue but it just makes sense for the largest amount of users in IT....

I guess if thats the only prob with the distro then thats a good sign.... but I would like to be more active, I'd even do soem install scripts and stuff i just feel like I can't take part becuase I dont speak German.

I realise that you german guys also want to speak your native tongue....
I guess I can translate english/french if it helps !!!

severin
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2004 - 09:21 AM

Whaddoyou guys think (germans as well as the others): I reckon if one of the non-germans had one of those problems becoming manifest in a kanotix error message, he could just search the german forum as well. Once he finds a thread seeming to concern his problem he could just send the author a pm (in english - I guess most germans dealing with linux speak it sufficiently) asking if his problem has already gotten fixed and, if so, how. I'd say, we (german speakers) would be glad to help, wouldn't we (serious question in here!)?
Err... maybe this helps just very few, I've come to realize just now writing this post. Umm... maybe we should focus on translating the wiki...

Just my 2 cents.

Severin

Cuddles
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 06:04 PM

How did I miss this thread Frage

Being a native to the USA, born and raised, I only speak, read, write, English - even though I did grow up in the Los Angeles Valley, you know, Valley Girl, thing, OHHH MMMYYYY GGGOOOSSSHHH ! stuff... But, it is, still, English [giggle]

I am not the "common" Californian, I didnt ditch school to go to the beach, and either work on my tan, or, surf the rad waves, I attended school... I went on to attend community colleges, and work on a Computer Sci. Degree, which I still have not attained.

While, most, accademics were taking foreign languages, I was learning computer languages, my down-fall, I know... I regret that I didnt learn at least German, and am looking to move out of this small town, to somewhere, that has a decent educational corriculum, to have German classes.

I have to admit, English is my language, born into it, by decree of where I live, and in what Country, but, I do tend to misspell lots of times, so, pardon me, if this posted response is riddled with typos Sehr glücklich

I think I come from where most "Americans" come from, middle-lower-class financial status, and, thus, have a very "meager" pittance of pay to show for it, but, did, want to "give something" back to a distrobution that I, not only love, but, run, and devote my existance to ever populate the world of computers with... So, I asked to be made a moderator...

I dont think of myself as a "guru", far from it, I am learning, and, dont think I will ever stop learning about Linux... Its too big a beast to know "everything" about. I learn something new everyday, how to do this, how to do that, how to do this "but" another way, etc... I share, I care, and I give of my knowledge, and experiences, freely, to anyone who asks. I, was blessed, actually, to have been employed, as a Win98 Tech Support person, for doing that job, I realized my true "calling" in computers, someone who helps others.

I dont always have all the answers, sometimes, I dont even have a clue, but, I still help, in any way I can.

I am also a moderator of another forum, the Knoppix Forums, and, if you hit up that forum, you will realize, I have about the newbiest posts, as do others. I am not above learning, or, being humbled in the fact of having to ask. The title of moderator, has its responsibilities, but, I dont think it means I have to be a guru, either. ( I sure hope not )

I help where I can, ask just like the rest, but, never give wild goose chases, nor false information, unless I dont know any better, at which, I am more than willing to admit when I am wrong. "Moderator" does require keeping the forums "clean" of legalities, keeping the peace, and, I feel a sense of honor, being one, but, never let it go to my head, kind of thing. Because I am still just a Linux user, a Kanotix OS user, in the end.

My two schillings worth,

Jump to: