28.03.2024, 19:47 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jbs1136
Titel: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 17:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
I have searched the forums for the word "firefox" but did not see my question. I did find a post saying that kpackage or apt-get was the only way that we should install software on a debian based system. I am a recent user of Kanotix ( a couple of weeks now) and am trying to get to the point of making it "my os". One of the things that I enjoy doing is browsing the internet and trying new software that I find. I have been using Firefox since it was Pheonix (spelling). I love the browser and use it 'as is' without extensions. A long time ago I discovered the nightly builds and how far ahead they are. I try to download and install a new one every week or so. Sometimes it won't work and I have to step back a day or two but no problem. Mostly they work well for me. That was windows. Since switching to kanotix I have been trying to get a nightly to work. I have been through the forums at mozillazine and they have tried to help but refered me back here. Is it possible to install a nightly? I even tried getting rid of the current firefox to see if that had an effect but it didn't. This is what I have: AMD Athalon64 and running kanotix64. I installed from a live cd and have tried to do all of the updates and used kpackage to add games and kde stuff and get rid of some things that I don't have or use (bluetooth, wifi, etc).

Sorry about the long post but wanted to explain. Thanks for any help.

John

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 17:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Yes, installing a nightly is easy, I assume it's still a zip file.

create a directory in your home directory called 'bin', like so: /home/<your username>/bin

make <your user name> the correct directory name of course

download the firefox nightly into your new bin directory, unzip it, I assume it's still a zip file, haven't used thenightlies for a while now, then create a link to the executable in the firefox directory.

that's about it.

you can script it with shell script to make it download the nightly automatically of course so you can basically have a 'one click install and download', I do that for the linux filezilla nightlies.

then you can have the nice stable firefox that comes installed and your current alpha test stuff running.

Of course, as on windows, create a new profile for each, one for your stable firefox that is on your system as part of apt, and one for your nightlies, at least one.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 19:30 Uhr

h2,

Thank you but you are over my head. The files are still zipped, they are .tar.bz2. I know how to unzip to tar and then to unzip that to a folder. I created the bin folder as you said. Creating a link to the executable = lost, don't know how yet. "Script it with shell script to make it download the nightly automatically" = lost, way, way over my head.

I did manage to download the file to the /home/jbs1136/bin folder. did "tar -vxf firefox-3.0a1.en-US.linux-i686.installer.tar.bz2" which created a folder named firefox-installer. so far so good. Inside that folder are some files, firefox-installer which is a shell script and firefox-installer-bin which is an executable file. When I click on them nothing happens. This has been my problem. I can get it dowloaded and unzipped just can't get it to do anything else.

In windows I always left the default profile intact and created a new profile in a different directory that wouldn't be affected when the os crashed. That way I could continue to use my bookmarks, passwords, css files, user.js files, etc.

It was mentioned in the mozillazine forum that there would be a problem because the nightlies are 32 bit and I have a 64bit os. Is this the problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

John

slam
Titel: RE: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 19:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
You can always try:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install firefox/experimental

in the moment that will give you BonEcho/2.0b1.
Please be aware that some extensions/themes might not work with betas.
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
h2
Titel: RE: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 20:35 Uhr

I missed the 64 bit part, not sure why you are running that, to me that's only useful if you have an actual reason to use it, like having to handle very large [ > 4 gigabytes ] chunks of data. For most versatile system, use the 32 bit kanotix, if you have a real reason to use the 64 bit, use it, but otherwise you will just encounter various problems with trying to get various things working. Flash for example also won't work in 64 bit. Most reports I've seen say that 64 bit runs slightly slower than 32 bit, at least from kanotix users who seem to know. Just to dispel a myth: 64 bit is not 'faster' than 32 bit, it can just handle larger chunks of data. If you process massive chunks of data routinely it's a cool thing to use, but otherwise it seems to have limited utility at this point.

So no, the nightly for 32 bit won't work unless you do some stuff that will be even more over your head, and not worth your while learning.

creating a link is not hard, same as in windows if you want a desktop icon, right click on desktop, create link to executable.

personally, I wouldn't be running this test stuff if I didn't know what terms like 'executable' are referring to, but each to his/her own.

In linux firefox, the thing you link to is a file that makes firerfox start up, I think it's a shell script called firefox in this case.

h2
Titel: RE: Firefox installation  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 21:07 Uhr

It all works fine, just tried this one:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060727 Minefield/3.0a1

You download the nightly build here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... est-trunk/
more information here:
http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/

make absolutey 100% positively certain that you set profile manager to open first, and that you've created a new test profile, or you will lose and damage your entire working profile, or at least there's an excellent chance of that happening.

Do not download the installer build, download the standard tar bzipped build, that simply unzips/untars into a directory.

Once you start it up, that's it, it will just start up. You can start it by clicking on the 'firefox' file in the /firefox/ directory. That's all there is to it, this is for 32 bit kanotix though, not 64. Works fine.

gardyloo
Titel: Tried updating to Bon Echo, but problems...  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 21:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

I tried (out of curiosity, after doing a complete backup, of course) updating to the new Bon Echo build, via apt-get install firefox/experimental. Worked fine, and Firefox opened correctly, and looked OK (other than fonts).

Of course, the vast majority of the extensions I use were useless, as were all of the themes except the default.

Now I've fallen back to the older 1.5.0.4 build, which is just fine. However, though all of my old themes and extensions are listed, none of them are enabled, and I can't figure out how to get them back short of reinstalling them all ("Update Themes" doesn't work, for example). Is there something easy I can do to re-enable them? As I said, I have all the old files backed up.

Cheers!

gardyloo
Titel: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 21:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

As so often seems to happen, I've found the answer on my own just after asking for help.

I was able to right-click on each of the greyed-out themes and extensions, and choose "enable" (which I've never seen before, but that might because I haven't looked for it). Although it makes no visible difference during the running session, upon closing and reopening Firefox, those themes and extensions are loaded and no longer greyed-out.

Thanks, all!

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 22:28 Uhr

h2,

The reason that I am using the 64bit is to try it out. I have another computer with xp on it where I store pictures, music, quicken, address, recipes. I am not going to do much other than run the clean up programs and use it. I want to find something that I can play with, learn how to use and move to permanently before xp gets dumped. My son bought me a 64bit with motherboard and I wanted to try it. Not too worried about speed, I browse the internet, email and play some card/tile games. I guess I just want to try and get an early start, at my age it takes me a little while to learn and that is what I am in it for. I will probably take your advice and get a 32 bit distro and switch between them.

"creating a link is not hard, same as in windows if you want a desktop icon, right click on desktop, create link to executable.

personally, I wouldn't be running this test stuff if I didn't know what terms like 'executable' are referring to, but each to his/her own. :

I understand executable files in windows, they have .exe. I have a file named firefox-bin and it says executable file, and I have a file named firefox which says shell script which I was told in another forum to use. That was my confusion. I haven't had a chance yet to get the file system down. I understand also that the firefox I asked for is testing but I have been using it under windows for almost 2 years and learned to deal with the problems. I hope to do that under kanotix. I try to read and learn from the forums and the manual pages and try everything. If I crash and burn, it won't be the first time nor the last.

Again, thank you for your help. It is people like you that will make me stick with this distro and this forum.

John

piper
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 23:26 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
To make an application 'executable' , right click on it > properties > permissions > and put a check on 'ls executable'

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 23:55 Uhr

bs1136, yes, I see, the file you want is the 'firefox' file, not the bin file. It's different than in windows, many type of files can be executable, as long as there's something in them to execute, in this case, it's a shell script with no extension, a text file, that has the startup stuff for firefox in it.

I just tested this on the nightly, I used to do that nightly thing too like you, but once firefox stabilized I switched to the calm waters of standard releases.

In 32 bit there were no install issues, but don't use the installer version, use the tar.bz2 version.

Save yourself many headaches, use 32 bit kanotix, you'll have plenty to learn, believe me, lots of fun stuff, no need to make it more complicated with 64 bit specific issues.

Being willing to crash and burn is helpful when starting out, I suspect most users here have done that at some point in the past, and continue to do so now and then just to keep your edge, lol...

I have a 64 bit kanotix but have found only one reason to ever boot into it: testing stuff out. I never use it, there really is no reason unless you have a real reason, just like with xp 64, it's just about handling massive data chunks, that's all. You will be happier with 32 bit kanotix, it's almost identical, except everything you want to try will work.

Once on 32 bit, make sure to use different profilles for the nightlies than for the stable firefox 1.5 that comes with kanotix, as you probably know if you've played with nightlies for a while.

To make short cut, right click on taskbar/desktop, select add appliction/or shortcut to program, browse to the program, browse to the icon of the program, that's about it.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 07:04 Uhr

OK, H2 point taken. I have installed the 32 bit version. I installed the easter release. I downloaded the zip version of firefox (I agree, I don't like using the installer, expecially in windows) and put it in /home/bin and put the profile in /home/john/minefield. I created a link on the desktop. I wanted to put the profile on the other drive but can't. After a lot of trying I remembered that it was ntfs and I don't yet know how to write to that.

I am going to keep the 64 bit and sometimes go to try things out there and maybe be ready when it goes mainstream.

The 32 bit is great. I plugged in my thumb drive and my camera and both popped up, didn't even have to edit the fstab which I had to do in 64 mode. Sound is working right but I am playing with that. If I can't find the answer I will make a new post here. I had one for the 64 mode and it got solved.

Still have to get that apt-get thing down. I like kpackage but having trouble getting it in. Don't care for adept. Now I will just have to spend some time going through everything and making the minor adjustments, adding and subtracting packages until I have what I want and need.

Thanks for your help. Believe me, it was/is appreciated.

John

schnorrer
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 12:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

you can't write from linux to ntfs. But tere is a programm for win called explore2ext.exe. It is a small drivere for win to access ext3fs under win, like an other partition.

Installing is easy. hope you have an USB-Stick. downlod this SW. Goto win. unpack this files in a directory of your choice. run the exe and yes you have access R/W to linux partitions.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 02:00 Uhr

schnorrer,

Thanks. I think though I will forgo that program as I am trying to get away from windows. Guess I will have to partition the drive and split between ntfs and fat32 for shared files.

Thanks again,

John

schnorrer
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 12:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

Going away from win, you'ld better remove ntfs completely. Fat32 is ok for what you need.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 07:16 Uhr

Yes, but I have to do it gradually. I am still playing with the Windows Vista Beta2. I guess just to prove to myself that I don't want it.. It is great eyecandy but not much else. I can't even install a microsoft mouse because they have done drivers for it yet! It is a 5 button wheel mouse but it and the fingerprint reader won't work in Vista. Now that is what I call support, not Smilie

If I get away from windows totally what should the drive be? I have two drives, 1 is 80 gig and I will put os's on it. the other is 250 gig SATA drive where I plan to store my documents, pictures, music, backups, and firefox profile. Should it be fat32 or is there something better?

Thanks,

John

piper
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 07:36 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Well if you get away from windows period I would use reiserfs, whenever windows is involved you can use fat 32 for sharing both linux and windows apps

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 16:14 Uhr

Thanks, that was what I needed to know.

John

piper
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 19:20 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

You might also want to look at
NTFS-3G

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 22:58 Uhr

Don't think I am quite ready for that one. Will check it out later.

Thanks,

John

h2
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.07.2006, 23:57 Uhr

jbs1136, I have one question re running with different profile directory locations: how do you change it, I tried changing the default in firefox file, the sh one, but despite changing it there, it still goes to ./mozilla/firefox

I'd like to get a totally unconnected profile directory for my alpha going, but I can't find where the path needs to be changed to do that.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 03:33 Uhr

I did this under windows and want to try to do it in linux. I will you know the outcome. Will probably tackle this tomorrow after I get my sata drive set up.

John

ps in windows (and this works in linux because I set up a separate profile for the nightly called minefield in my home folder). run box, ~firefox -profilemanager

Based on some input from this forum I created a bin file in /home and installed the nightly there. Then I ran firefox -profilemanager (space before the dash and it is all one word). You can select create and then put a different name where it says default, towards the bottom you can hit a button to select the folder where you want it. I did this in windows because it was always crashing and I would reinstall it several times. This way my profile and bookmarks, passwords were safe.

John

h2
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 03:38 Uhr

oh, ok, I know that method, I was trying to change the actual location of the profile.ini file itself, so I could use firefox stable without having to run the profile manager each time, and run alpha totally separated, guess I'll have to see if it's possible to do that or not would require changing the default ./mozilla/firefox location itself, which is where the profile.ini is located, which is what sets the individual paths.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 07:04 Uhr

Never tried that. I know the ini file has all of the profiles listed and which one is set to open. Don't know a way around that.

John

jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Found my answer.  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 13:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
I guess you could try a sys link

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.