May 28, 2018 - 10:48 AM

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
anticapitalista
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 - 01:58 PM

wegface wrote:
Most mepis community members dont run mepis.... hehehe- does that tell you anything? Warren should release that source code immediatly- then we can all benefit from his tasty installer and detection code hehe. Peace

I don't know where you got that info from, but I doubt it is true. What you might mean is that several people who frequent the Mepis forums have "moved on" to other distros or use Mepis and others too. That comes as no surprise really as Mepis is unashamedly for new users and once people have more experience of linux they often move to more "demanding" distros.
I'm one of them I use Mepis, Kanotix and Debian sid.

About the GPL, I really do hope that Warren will comply and I also hope he will make available the source code for his installer and oscenter and it doesn't get lost to the world like the Libranet one has.

Reply with quote Back to top
wegface
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Thats the impression ive got from the mepis irc channel- generally speaking the people doing the helping are not running mepis- for reasons that you rightly stated. Compare that to kanotix irc where most uses are actually running kanotix. I'm not anti mepis- i have it installed on a small partition- and boot to it once in a while. Unfortunatly im hooked on the distrowatch rss bookmark in kanotix- which forces me to download nearly every linux distro released Lachen

JimC
Post subject: SimplyMEPIS update on Source Code  PostPosted: Jul 29, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Warren has updated the his web site with more info on satisfiying the requirements given to him by the FSF:

http://www.mepis.org/node/10725

As you can tell from previous remarks, he doesn't like it that he must distribute the source code, even if he never had it to begin with (including binaries in the distro from other sources).

In any event, he agreed to comply, and the source for GPL'd pacakges in SimplyMEPIS is now available for a nominal fee ($29.95):

http://www.mepis.org/source

Cathbard
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2006 - 07:09 AM
Artist
Artist

All very interesting but I think it can be summed up in two words:

"Kanotix Rocks".

slam
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2006 - 11:58 AM
Webmaster
Webmaster

Well, I have tried Mepis 2 years ago, actually before I found Kanotix. Since it released a somewhat "milestone release" with version 6 recently, I gave it a 2nd try yesterday and installed to a test-partition. What I got was a more or less standard Kubuntu + Automatix (or Easybuntu), additionally optimized for kindergarten. Winken

Really, I don't like this childish theme at all, the colorfull icons - and specially the very important "applications" in the taskbar. I really love fish - for dinner, but do I need an aquarium in the kicker?

The package selection is very limited and not perfect. Nothing against the 1-task/1-application philosophy, I support that for Linux beginners, too. But How could one select XaraLX? It's a highly professional tool and quickly developing, but today it's in a very early beta state, far from usable.

The Mepis kernel with it's pre-patched modules is not what I expected. Warren's kernels have seen better days. Although promised on the web site, neither Nvidia 6600 on a standard HP Pavillion, nore a Mobility Radeon 9200 in a Sony Vaio laptop did have 3d hardware acceleration after install. Both commercial drivers where included and somehow installed, but not configured correctly. Better not include them, as "commercial kernel drivers are illegal", anyway.

A lot of other commercial stuff is included (just read up the legal section of the web site to see all the commercial licenses involved) - most of them not relevant to me. However, it would be impossible to roll out and support this distribution to my clients without getting into decent legal trouble. Not just that the GNU/GPL is abused and raped (which is a crime against every open source developer on this planet, and a slap in the face of every contributor to the linux kernel), but several other licenses conflict with each other and/or with the GPL.

Mepis is very US-centric. It comes with US-locales configured only, and even after HD-install it's not trivial to get everything working in a different language.

I did not find much of interest. But there are some nice ideas included, however:

1) Spashy is used for the bootsplash instead of the bootsplash kernel module. That's good practice, several other distributors already have done, or will do the same (including Kanotix).

2) The installer includes some useful additional choices, i.e. pre-configuration of samba and change of host name. Although we provide the same functionality with extra scripts, it's a nice idea to concentrate them in the installer. It's trivial to do so, and enhances the user experience (what a word! Winken ) for beginners.

3) The KDE theme and style is polished and slightly differs from KDE defaults (most of that is Kubuntu-work). That makes you feel using a professional system, which is a good psychological effect. We are working on doing similiar things for the next Kanotix-release.

So, my conclusion: If you really want an Ubuntu based KDE distro and desperately need all the commercial stuff, and don't care for Debian incompatibility and restricted package choice - go and get Kubuntu, and make use of Automatix/Easybuntu-scripts. I really did expect more from Warren - kinda of a perfect Kubuntu. Mepis does promise a lot, but actually fails to deliver most of the promised gifts.

It would be obvious now to add a line about how much better Kanotix is - but you all know that already, and don't really need me to tell you. Smilie

Greetings,
Chris

Jump to: