28.03.2024, 13:34 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Dieses Thema ist gesperrt, du kannst keine Beiträge editieren oder beantworten.
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
al3
Titel: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 23:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

Just came from Apple store. Wife wants the small 'Shuffle' iPod playter.

Is there any Linux software that will easily work with this thing to rip some tracks off her CDs (she has hundreds of CDs)? What format does iPod use? mp3? Ooog? Can I use K3b or Konqueror to rip selected tracts and just drag/drop files to iPod or do I need special software to work with this thing?

She will either divorce me or give up Linux if she can't get an iPod to work. Please help me save my marriage!!

Al

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Roughnecks
Titel: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 00:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
sue apple.

seriously, amarok seems to work fine with ipods. maybe one of the people around here can confirm that, i don't own an ipod.

jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 00:22 Uhr

In synaptic the description of amork says
- iPod and iRiver support

and rythmn box
Rhythmbox is a very easy to use music playing and management program
which supports a wide range of audio formats (including mp3 and ogg).
Originally inspired by Apple's iTunes, the current version also supports
Internet Radio, iPod integration and generic portable audio player
support, Audio CD burning, Audio CD playback, music sharing, and
Podcasts.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von jackiebrown am 30.07.2006, 00:24 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

jackiebrown
Titel: RE: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 00:23 Uhr

there is even a package called ipod for the libs

schnorrer
Titel: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 00:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

I heard that the german-versions will work without extra SW. just plugin and have an extra storrage-device.

Controlling the iPod is an extra problem some could some could not controlled.

HK-47
Titel: RE: Wife wants iPod. Has Knotix. Divorce?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 00:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

i think the iPod plays only MP3s. to rip CDs into MP3s you need to install **censored** first. then you can use one of many programs, like KAudioCreator, Sound Juicer, or even Konqueror (there's a tutorial somewhere around here on how to rip with Konqueror) to do the ripping.

i don't have an iPod so i can't say for sure which programs work with it, but many people have said that AmaroK works well.

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 01:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
al3 hat folgendes geschrieben::
She will either divorce me or give up Linux if she can't get an iPod to work. Please help me save my marriage!!
Well, it depends if you can compete with that:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9247 ... torpm5.jpg

Have not measured it though. Mr. Green

Well, up till now ipods were plug and play and go here.

EDIT:

as Schnorrer said, it's just an extra storage with a funny price:
10 Euro for the storage, another 10 for the player and the headset, 380 for the name.

People here use it as storage device, and not once I plugged in an ipod into a Kanotix-Box plus beamer, and off we went with a "Powerpoint"-presentation. And you can store music there as well. Which format? Apple knows. mp3 should work, at least I saw mp3s on an ipod on my kanotix box (yes, I'm nosy).

Just saw sunglasses in a shop in Budapest: integrated flash, integrated headset, plays music. Can't remember the price. At least no wires, so you are not bound to be shot in London Underground. Cool thing.

hubi

al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 02:04 Uhr

I try to rip a CD track with k3b into mp3 and it just dies... no real error message.

And if I try to open the auto cd in Konqueror to see the files (there is some way to rip using kong), I get:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'audiocd'.

However, k3b will rip to Ogg.

iPod won't support Ogg from what I understand. And I don't know how to get an ogg into either ACC or MP3.

Wife wants the cheap $69 iPod shuffle. Any help with getting mp3 or acc files is apprecaited. I have the old Kanotix 2005-04 version and it seems that installing Soundconverter or other program wants to put in a ton of other files... and who knows WHAT will happen.

Thanks,

Al

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 02:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

audacity rips to mp3 fine, and you can use konqueror to rip to wav if you want.

don't do anything that will install a bunch of files currently or your install will probably fail due to the new kde stuff coming in.

al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 02:43 Uhr

h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
audacity rips to mp3 fine, and you can use konqueror to rip to wav if you want.

don't do anything that will install a bunch of files currently or your install will probably fail due to the new kde stuff coming in.

Audacity gives me:

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'audiocd'.

I'm really frustrated with this. It looked so easy at the Apple store this morning!!! Smilie

Al

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 02:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

rip wavs with konqueror, then rip those with audacity, I think that's how I did it last time I did it.

You can also theoretically do the same directly, rip audio cd track to mp3 directly in konqueror, but last time I tried it the mp3 was severely distorted.

It's really not hard at all, just drag the files in konqueror from cd to temp wav file folder, then convert them to desired format in audacity. Make sure to set konqueror to rip to wav first, and set the desired quality levels for the compressed tracks, whatever format you use. It's very easy, I just redid a bunch of stuff for a website doing that, and it didn't take much time at all.

And then, if you get motivated, automate the entire process with a script, and use command line ripping tools to do it for you, just run script, and walk away.

And of course, in a more perfect world, we'd stop encouraging proprietary systems and hardware by simply not buying them, but since it was that toy or divorce.. .well, you had to decide, so I guess you made the right decision, assuming you like your wife.

apple stuff is so over hyped I can't believe it, you can pick up really nice small flash based mp3 players for really cheap now, 1 gig plus of memory, why the apple cuteness continues to sell is beyond me, but it does.

t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 08:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Sep 2005

I rip using GRIP. You also need to install **censored** that uses GRIP to convert to MP3.

I then use VMWARE to install an XP virtual machine. I installed ITunes on the virtual machine and use that when I need to use ITunes.

It is amazing that Apple itself is so closed-minded because they have not released a Linux version yet. How disappointing!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 10:34 Uhr

For ripping: I like kaudiocreator. It should be included in Kantotix (at least it was in 2005-04). If not:

apt-get install kaudiocreator

hubi

PS @al3: if you don't like my nightly joke, just tell me, I'll delete it. Winken

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 10:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

I use abcde to rip. Simple command line style. Just use the man to know what to do.

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.07.2006, 11:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
If you want to convert your files you can do nice things with ogg123 and sox. To convert e.g. an ogg file into wav:
ogg123 -b 10000 -f "-" "$1" | sox -t raw -r 44100 -s -w -c2 - "$1".wav
(where $1 is your ogg file)

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
ironwalker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 19:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
I rip with grip and hydrogen audio's **censored** "ha-**censored**",then use gtkpod to keep on the ipod.
works fine.

zulu9
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 01:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 31. Jul 2004

as said before: some ipods work fine, some not. on some you can even _install_ linux:
http://ipodlinux.org

ironwalker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 13:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2005
why was my post censored?
Thats **censored**....no pun intended. Lachen Winken
Seriously,is there something wrong with the "L" project I don't know about?

marcia
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 18:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Mai 2006

Hello. Did you ever get your ipod working in linux? I will be working on my son's girlfriend's ipod shuffle one of these days. She cannot get it to work at all and I think it needed a windows update but maybe linux can bypass that glitch.

Anyway, I found a couple of websites that may be helpful, I do not know. One is http://www.geocities.com/kymacperson/ip ... _ipod.html and the other site is //www.cs.utexas.edu/users/walter/geek/ipodsuffle-linux.html. I will probably refer to these when I start working on the ipod shuffle.

If you got yours working well already in linux, I would love to know how you did it if you wish to share the info.

Thanks and good luck.

Sincerely,

Marcia

al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 21:10 Uhr

Wife has not bought ipod yet. I want to wait until there is a new Kanotix version as I'd like to get gtkpod. I'm afraid to do so because Synaptic wants to bring in a ton of stuff to this old (stable) 2005-04 release and I don't want to bork her system.

Al

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 21:56 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
al3, if I am not mistakin, I "think" (could be very dangerous Winken) h2's script can update that release, I would wait for more feedback on that from other users that use that release, or you can just wait for the next release.

EDIT: Yes mucking the wife's system can be very dangerous, I WOULD WAIT Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 22:42 Uhr

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::

EDIT: Yes mucking the wife's system can be very dangerous, I WOULD WAIT Winken

I will. Also, from what I can understand, the tiny iPod Shuffle will be teated just like a mass-storage device (flash drive, camera, etc.) and that I should just be able to copy mp3 files from/to the iPod. I'm not sure that is true, but that's what I heard.

Al

al3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 22:49 Uhr

Why are some many words 'censored' in this thread?

Al

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 22:55 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
al3 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Why are some many words 'censored' in this thread?

Al

We have to follow German law. If we didn't censor, it could be very expensive as Germany has lawyers that search forums for "censored words"

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 23:02 Uhr

Media players from Hungary are very spicy Mr. Green

Jump into the IRC or look here in the forum for legal responsibilities of webmasters in Germany. It"s a sad story, but hinting to non free codecs in a forum run in Germany might endanger webmasters of a forum financially (court decision still pending).

hubi

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Dieses Thema ist gesperrt, du kannst keine Beiträge editieren oder beantworten.
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.