28.03.2024, 15:51 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JimC
Titel: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 21:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

If anyone has been watching this distro (especially with all of the controversy surrounding GPL'd code), SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final is now availlable.

I'm downloading it now (slow going). Here's the press release:

http://www.mepis.org/node/10606

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jackiebrown
Titel: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 23:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
I would rather eat my arm than download that piece of shit.

piper
Titel: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 00:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
whoa Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 01:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

jackiebrown, ok, now tell us how you really feel about it, heh heh... no plans on checking it out either, maybe sometime when I'm really really bored.

anticapitalista
Titel: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 01:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
jackiebrown hat folgendes geschrieben::

Care to explain why you think it's a "piece of shit" especially as you have no intention of downloading it to try it out?

Or are you the one-armed man from Twin Peaks? Winken

hubi
Titel: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 01:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006

Weeeellllllllllll.

You might come to Budapest and eat the "Holy Right", the "szent jobb". No, not Muhammad Ali's right hand, but King Steven's (István királyé).

Get it, it's still in the cathedral (well dried, just about 1000 years old):
http://www.sulinet.hu/ikep/2004/05/sztjobb.jpg

Mr. Green

scnr
hubi

monkymind
Titel: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 04:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Aug 2004

You can't be that brutally honest on the internet! Lachen

Someone will probably try to bite your head off before you get anywhere near your arm .. Geschockt

Cheers
rob

t-bone
Titel: RE: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 07:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Sep 2005

I have tried so many distributions over the last couple of years that I am Simply Tired. Call it old age (33), but I Simply Love Kanotix. Sometimes, though, when I do have time, I install a distribution on a virtual machine, just for fun. I may do that this time to see how much Mepis has improved...or has not. Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 08:15 Uhr

t-bone, you took the thought out of my head and put it into words. I'm also simply tired of the distro game. The only reason I ever played it was to find a distro that worked for me, in every way I wanted, now I have found it, so unless kanotix goes away, kanotix is what I'm using.

Although I will be testing some debian stuff now I think, since using kanotix is also a good way to learn debian, etch, maybe an unstable testing install. But no forked, almost debian stuff for me, no rpm stuff, no toy distros, no novelty stuff, I've tested those ad nauseum and not one has been worth using, well, no, one was, but it's not being developed any more.

The more solid I feel about kanotix, the more likely I'll just start playing more with debian on my test installs. The only reason to use the commercial based ones, like opensuse/suse or redhat/fedora is if I were working with those as an admin, otherwise I just don't see why I'd do that.

titan
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 08:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
. I'm also simply tired of the distro game. The only reason I ever played it was to find a distro that worked for me, in every way I wanted, now I have found it, so unless kanotix goes away, kanotix is what I'm using.

Amen Sehr glücklich

Ian

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 20:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

What about when Debian 4.0 is released?

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 21:32 Uhr

etch is on my todo list, I'll install that on a test box, that's different, debian or kanotix, that's what I want to learn. I definitely want to check out debian stable, which is going to be quite close to kanotix actually from what I read, 2.6.17, xorg 7, and so on. So this is a good time to give etch/testing a spin, that will yield a very upto date debian stable box this december if they make the release date.

michael7
Titel: Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 22:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
I downloaded Mepis 6.0 and installed it on a friend's computer. The installation was easy and quick, although not as quick as Kanotix, and the hardware detection was good. The only thing I had to configure was the printer and because it was an Epson, the configuration only involved a few mouse clicks.

I'm no fan of Mr. Woodchuck, but it's a good distro from a user's perspective. I can understand things from his point of view-- he wants to spend more time making money and less time fixing bugs. For me, the exercise was entertaining and educational, but now it's time to get back to the real distro. As we say around here in Nashville, "Kanotix über alles". Sehr glücklich

hubi
Titel: Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 22:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Well, it's always a question, which distribution to recommend when a person wants Linux because he is fed up with the troubles with XP - nearly all of my friends and colleagues had already once an XP-Box taken over by a virus/worm/trojan/whatever - but says, he does not want to get into the deep things, it just should work.

The options are:
Kanotix - it's the best but you should CD-Upgrade when a new version has been rolled
SuSE - just use it for the next two years, security updates are coming in (but: a bit slow)
(K)Ubuntu - just use it for the next three years, security is coming in, but don't change anything, it might break
Mepis - well, I don't know it, but target-group seems exactly the person I described

Tricky question. I might not recommend Kanotix for a person who does not want or does not have the time to get into technical details.

But I think in general: diversity is the salt of Linux.

hubi

slam
Titel: Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 08:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Zitat:
. I might not recommend Kanotix for a person who does not want or does not have the time to get into technical details.

Actually I install ONLY Kanotix everywhere: For Mom & Dad, for friends & kids, for artists & politicians, in the hospital & my favorite pub .......

They all are happy. They all don't have the time/motivation/ability to get into any technical detail. They just use it, as they used the other operating system before. But: They do not dist-upgrade! They receive a fresh install, add all applications they ever might need, and that's it. Whith the next relaese they simply update-install. They did not update the other operating system every week, so they don't miss anything.

In fact the only problematic people are the tweakers, overclockers and registry-hackers. For those I recommend to stick with the other operating system, so they can continue to spend hours every day with their hobby. Only 5-10% of them are clever enough for Linux. You may call me stupid elitist now, if you wish. Winken

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
Roughnecks
Titel: Mepis  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 11:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
Well, i downloaded simplymepis and had a look at it in vmware. first: the download was really slow.

unfortunately, simplymepis only comes in english. i'd have to install german packages myself. this is not a problem for me, because i'm used to english, but i think a distro should support more languages out of the box (english, spanish, french, german).
mepis looks very polished and clean - that's a big plus. though i have two floppy icons on my desktop? anyway, the desktop seems to be overloaded. the fishes in the taskbar... what are they for?
software on the cd is ok, everything you need (open office, firefox, kontact, amarok ...). hardware recognition is ok, don't know about nvidia/ati installation (i'll only try mepis in vmare Winken ).
installation crashed the first time because i had mounted a partition - no error box popping up, installation just disappeared. anyway, the installation installs and then asks for usernames and stuff. i think the kanotix way (ask first, then install completely) is much better.

i can watch all videos out of the box, realplayer is installed too.. that's nice. what do i need a virus scanner for (klamav)? the Keep backup program is a good idea.

didn't see anything else exciting there. i miss the nxserver. i don't know wether there is a big difference between mepis and genuine ubuntu. i'd rather recommend using ubuntu than mepis (IF i should ever recommend any other distro than kanotix :p).

eco2geek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 19:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
There's a review of SimplyMEPIS up on tuxmachines.org that reaches the same conclusions.

What's the benefit of using SimplyMEPIS over Kubuntu, anyway? Where's the "value added"?

P.S. to Slam: Happy SysAdmin Day, you elitist, you. Winken

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.07.2006, 23:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

eco2geek hat folgendes geschrieben::
What's the benefit of using SimplyMEPIS over Kubuntu, anyway? Where's the "value added"?

It's prettier. Winken

From what I've seen reported, memory requirements are also lower (probably due to Warren's "tweaking"). Here's one review commenting on it:

http://raldztech.blogspot.com/2006/07/s ... op-on.html

" MEPIS uses 115MB of RAM while the other distro uses 220MB of RAM. This is probably what separates MEPIS from the others... speed and efficiency."

In addition, it's already got most needed media players and codecs installed, and you don't really need to know anything about Linux to get it running. The installer is great for newbies.

My wife has been running SimplyMEPIS for quite a while now (other than when I switched her back to Windows briefly last year because I couldn't find a distro that worked with a new HP Multi-function printer I bought).

SimplyMEPIS was one of the *VERY* few distros I could get running on a laptop I bought for my wife a while back. I got it running in only 64MB of RAM (with a KDE interface). No tweaking needed. It installed and ran in 64MB of RAM. That was an older 3.3 version.

You can see some comments from me on it in this old thread from March of last year when I first installed it for her:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=12468403

With each subsequent version (3.3.2, 3.4.3, current 6.0), memory requirements have increased. But, to be frank, other than the printer issue (I couldn't get a new one working on 3.3), I'd prefer to run on SimplyMEPIS 3.3. Overall, for someone that's not very Linux literate (me), it's worked better than any distro I've tried to date.

Will I use it? I dunno... I've been trying a lot of distros (again) lately, including Kantix 2006-easter-rc4, Suse 10.1, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS and more. Right this minute, I've got SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final installed again (I overwrote a Kubuntu install with it). I prefer SimplyMEPIS compared to Kubuntu. It's "prettier". Lachen

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 05:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
I was beta testing Mepis when it was hardly known by anybody.
At the time Warren felt like a really nice guy.
After that I tried every release. Mepis never really was my cup of tea.
I am not going to try SimplyMepis 6.0: I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

anticapitalista
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 11:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
Daniele hat folgendes geschrieben::
..............I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

That's almost all of them lol

Daniele
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.07.2006, 15:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
anticapitalista hat folgendes geschrieben::
Daniele hat folgendes geschrieben::
..............I am going to boycott every distro wich doesn't release a 64 bit version.

That's almost all of them lol

It is the majority, but not all of them.
Most top ones in Distrowatch Page Hit Ranking do support 64 bit, and Debian is one of them.

PAn
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 23:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Aug 2005

Had just too many glitches with Easter RC. I tried Mepis and it was so far the best debian based distro. (Xandros 3 was good, 4 was slow - happens to some PC configurations). I had set up all programs I need. Kanotix will probbaly return to my HD when this year's relase comes out. I somehow don't like distro not based on pure Debian. Smilie

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.08.2006, 23:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Mepis is good from marketing point of view. Nobody can say he does not know how to make money. When you look a bit deeper how his distribution works, then you find nothing special with it. Compared to Kubuntu the differences are the the installed apps, the curious init scripts - you never can see 11 splashy initscripts somewhere else Winken and of course the funny KDE outfit for aquarium lovers. Kanotix might use splashy next time too, but of course in a differnet way. The use of Ubuntu standard kernel is not my thing, but maybe he feels better using 2.6.15...

jjjrrr3
Titel: Re: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 06:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::
If anyone has been watching this distro (especially with all of the controversy surrounding GPL'd code), SimplyMEPIS 6.0 Final is now availlable.

I must have missed the MEPIS controversy. A friend has been talking up SimplyMEPIS lately, so I'm curious as to what the story is.

eco2geek
Titel: RE: Re: SimplyMepis 6.0 Final is out  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.08.2006, 08:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
You can read about it here and here.

Didn't Mepis used to have a free version and a for-pay version, or something like that? Looks like they just have the one version now, with paid subscriptions giving you faster access to new releases, like Mandriva does.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.