28.03.2024, 13:40 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
2radical
Titel: Under age 40? You won't understand.  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 21:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
Black and White (I received this from my brother-in-law)

(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

"Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."

Depending on the channel you tuned,

You got Rob and Laura - or Ward and June.

It felt so good. It felt so right.

Life looked better in black and white.

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys,

Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys,

Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train,

Superman, Jimmy and Lois Lane.

Father Knows Best, Patty Duke,

Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too,

Donna Reed on Thursday night! --

I wanna go back to black and white.

Everything always turned out right.

Simple people, simple lives...

Good guys always won the fights.

Now nothing is the way it seems,

In living color on the TV screen.

Too many murders, too many fights,

I wanna go back to black and white.

In God they trusted, alone in bed, they slept,

A promise made was a promise kept.

They never cussed or broke their vows.

They'd never make the network now.

But if I could, I'd rather be

In a TV town in '53.

It felt so good. It felt so right.

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite,

If I could just turn back the clock tonight

To when everybody knew wrong from right.

Life was better in black and white!

Another Goody For The Oldtimers

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli .

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now..

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
devil
Titel: Under age 40? You won  BeitragVerfasst am: 11.07.2006, 22:22 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
...right from the heart.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Scrooge
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 01:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Feb 2006

Being quite a bit over 40 I can really relate to that. Thanks 2radical! Sehr glücklich

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 01:23 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Thanks 2radical

Hit the nail on the head Smilie I saved it as a reminder - the good 'ole days

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 04:44 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
ROFL too true. And maintenance used to be something you did to your car not a payment schedule. Winken

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 08:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Hehe, I really enjoyed that!
For the TV part of the story, here is a nice database with stories, pics and even jingles for free download:
http://epguides.com/menu/
But be warned - this site is definitely addictive!
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
titan
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.07.2006, 09:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
Great, and how true, epecially playing on building sites. This is something similar from a later generation used to computers
http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/
(need sound)

jjjrrr3
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 08:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
I often see nostalgic odes like this. They always remind me of this piece by a friend of mine, something I've held onto ever since she wrote it. Another reflection on "simpler times" ...

Zitat:
Or at least, our memories of them are simpler.

I "remember" lots of different things about those times. I'm not actually old enough to have pre-1980 memories of a scope broader than what my roller skates looked like; certainly nothing that would allow me to draw the kind of "rah! rah! less government == better society" conclusions found in this email. But I have been exposed to some american history, of the anecdotal, the pop cultural, and the scholarly kind... which is probably more than the email I'm responding to was based on.

I "remember" that, in the fabulously domestic times of the 50s, valium prescriptions were very common, and the evening cocktail was routine. If 50's suburbia was so great, why did our parents (or their parents) need sedatives to survive it?

I "remember" that if I'd been born even a decade earlier, I probably wouldn't have gone to college, and certainly not in the field I love. Sending girls off to engineering degrees was a luxury of rich parents, or of doting engineer fathers. I had neither.

I "remember" polio. Mom spent most of her 50's childhood in braces, barely able to walk, because of it.

I "remember" the difference between my experience of being sexually abused as a child, and an older female relative's. I talk about my experience, and my friends are outraged at the concept. Said relative still can't bring herself to talk about hers, and she certainly wasn't welcome to in her youth. Until the last couple of decades, what your dad did to your body was his own damn business.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this kind of one-sided nostalgic propaganda makes me want to throw up.

And you can keep your prayers out of my school and out of my face, thank you very much.

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.07.2006, 09:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
jeez......& on that happy note....
a little bitter, maybe?

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.07.2006, 20:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

I am over 40 (actually 42)...and feeling OLD Geschockt

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.08.2006, 14:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jul 2004
Amazing... I think the interesting thing, about the "over 40" stuff... is...

I remember the 70's and the 80's - you just "never knew" what was going to happen next; what new fad was going to be introduced, what new invention, and, if Gates & Jobs were going to "merge" or just "individually" take over the world of computers -=- Who would have ever known... But...

I was a "wee lil girl" during the 60's, but, all I remember bout that, was, wars, conflicts, our President fiasco, Canada ( our saviour for those who "wanted to stay out of the draft" ), and some of the best "political" and "earthy" music ever made ( take Simon & Garfunkel ) -=- about the ONLY travasty, is, "Bringing the 'boys' back home from the 'conflict', had them coming home to the WORST reception ever in the USA history ( I think Nam was a joke, except for those who actually had to fight in it )

The 70's had the "best self defense" invention, and fad, and the guy must have made millions; The Pet Rock. We had the "doo's", affros, etc...

The 80's went even more "overboard" - I love watching VH1's flashback series on "I Love the XX's"

The whole "remembering" stuff, brings up a cute song, actually recent, which I dont much enjoy as much as, say, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Styx ( with Dennis DeYoung ), ABBA, and Supertramp, but, I degres, the song had the lyrics "and when MTV played music video's" - how true... I recall seeing the newest, and latest, music video, from "who ever" on MTV... Now, its just game shows, and chat personalities... I Want My (original) MTV!"

Oh well, you know you are getting old, when, nostalgia is the only thing you like, and as Gallagher once said: "They didnt play 'Stairway to Heaven" on the Easy Listening Station Ausrufezeichen

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Yahoo Messenger  
kb0hae
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 13:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Remember what an LP is? Remember when a "45" was a record? Know what a turntable (on your stereo) is?
MAN do I feel OLD!!! Sehr glücklich

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 13:22 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
hehe 8 tracks Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 16:54 Uhr

kb0hae,
I remember... I (used to) have a ton of "one of a kind" records, which, many of them have never seen the conversion to CD... Like Zebra... shesh, it took me over a year to actually find a Soundtrack, which, was, actually not that old, Neil Diamond and "The Jazz Singer" - but, then again, I look in Sam Goody and Wal-Mart.

Piper
OMG! I used to pal around with a few friends in our "swim team" from high school, they almost wore out there copy of Boston on 8 track...

How bout "lazer discs" those record sized DVD's, the players were huge, the discs were heavy, and they (from what I heard) didnt even have all the "extras" we have on DVD's now... I still have a 10" reel to reel deck, my dad even has a "four track" of the same... Thats one of the things I was trying to bring up... No one knew where the technology was going... cassette, eight track, record, reel to reel, DAT, CD... Dolby B, or C, or DBX... Platform shoes... rhinestone clothing... studded clothing... VHS, Beta, DAT, VHS C, Digital, Video Disc, DVD... MAC, or PC... DrDOS, or MSDos, CPM, or MAC OS... Gettin back to computers... how bout CDC 300 discs... 10 "platters" bout the size of 12" records, that only held 300 MB? How bout PDP Systems, or even, the old Data General Systems, with "flip switches" to enter your boot sequence on? Punch cards? Hollerith Code? Coding sheets? Time share computer time? JCL submit job scripts? The list is endless, and time is short, as well as space, to list it all... Confusing times, power plays, you name it, the time was one you had to "live through", to experiance, what the "70's" and "80's", were... Cassette Walkman's, not CD or iPod's... Cell Phones that had a seperate "battery" pack you "slung" over your shoulder, and were the size of your head...

How bout laptops? Oh, they call them "Lugables" now, but, the monster "suitcase" sized Compaq, or the Kaypro? Used to lug one of the Compaq "1's" around for work... And then, used a Kaypro, which was a lilttle smaller, but was made out of sheet metal, and weighed even more... OMG! and the ASCII text games! Hunt the Wompus! Yes, you can even apt-get them still, think its called BSDGames.

Wow! What a time! I remember my first "working" with a UNIX System, the whole "kernel" thing, and realizing that "C" was its language of choice... ( I fear C )... and now... here we are, using a modified variant of it, and LOVING IT!

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 02:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

Cuddles hat folgendes geschrieben::
Gettin back to computers... how bout CDC 300 discs... 10 "platters" bout the size of 12" records, that only held 300 MB?

Is all that stuff no longer in use? Winken

I've got a Seagate 5MB full height hard disk drive that still works.

Well, at least it did last year when I fired it up last (although it was whining like the bearings were going to fail at any moment).

Who says magnetic media isn't reliable? I've had that drive for over 20 years (along with the PC it's installed in). Of course, if anything happened to that PC, I'd be lucky to find a controller card that could work with the drive. It was using a custom EEPROM. lol

I've got the same data on multiple, newer 20MB (MB not GB) drives, too (and I do have more than one older PC that will work with them). So, I've got backups. lol

I've got boxes of floppy discs, too. I should probably fire up an old PC and see if they're still readable or not. You never know. They may still work just fine, regardless of what everyone says about magnetic media being unreliable for long term storage.

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.08.2006, 04:15 Uhr

believe it or not, yes, the company I used to work for, had a PDP system, along with a DG that had six of those CDC300 pack hard drives on it... Did backups on them every night... Not to mention, to load boot and firmware, it used a 8" floppy drive. How bout that for old tech???

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 08:50 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
One of my first jobs was in an X25 exchange. I remember having to swap the hard drives. They were 10M winchesters that were over a foot wide and required both hands to lift them out. It was almost a two man job. I guess it was worth it for the mighty storage capacity of 10M Winken

My first experience with computers was at school where we had to load fortran programs into a mainframe computer on punch cards. Damn I feel old. And people these days complain that they need to go to a command line sometimes! Spoilt brats.

kb0hae
Titel: Under age 40? Upi won't understand.  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.08.2006, 10:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Anyone remember Bournelli (I think I spelled it right) drives? Took a cartrige like a huge diskette. A friend had one of these donated to him along with several cartriges, It was a dual drive, but I don't remember how it was interfaced to the PC. I had a chain printer (wide carriage) donated to me...it was set up for an AS400 though...I didn't feel like paying $400 for the PC interface for it. It worked great in self test mode though...sounded like a machine gun! I also remember using a tape drive for backups...took hours to back up (or restore) 500 meg of data. Of course selective restore was possible.

Damn...I gotta quit this...I feel older all the time! Sehr glücklich

kelmo
Titel: RE: Under age 40? Upi won  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 02:46 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
You're right, I do not understand.

mdmarmer
Titel: RE: Under age 40? Upi won  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 02:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Mar 2006
It's a Bernoulli drive -- I don't remember much about them but Google finds this and other pages

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bernoull.htm

Mike

Cuddles
Titel: RE: Under age 40? Upi won  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 04:16 Uhr

Bernoulli boxs were great... never owned one, they were rather "rich persons" hardware, when they came out...

I think, dont quote me on this, but, they were around 100 MB, maybe using something like "Stacker" on them, and new versions of the "box", allowed you to get around 250 MB...

The nice "feature" of them was that they were "removeable", and were the same as a hard drive platter - so, basically, one bump while they were "spinned up", and you were looking at replacing that platter...

This reminds me of the whole "Colorado Tape Drive" backup schemes... first they started out with a 120 MB cartridge, and as media was pushing 250 MB, they released a 250 backup... They kinda lost the battle, as media pushed into GB... At that point... I moved over to a Exabyte DAT "8mm" hylical scan backup... which, at that time, was around the unheard of storage capacity of 2 GB ! I used that backup drive while I was running dual Seagate ST238's, yep, 32 MB hard drives - the Exabyte drive was actually sold for "server" use, mostly DEC Mainframes, but used a standard SCSI interface (yeesh, double, SCSI interface? Small Computer [something] interface interface?)... starting to sound like all those people who said: DOS Operating System, always relayed a sense of "ignorance" when someone would say that.

bobdawn
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 04:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Aug 2006
Don't worry if you're under 40 and you don't understand. Age isn't important.
I'm over 70 and I STILL don't understand, although I sure remember a lot and I detest hubris.
If I ever stop asking "Why?", or remaining humble enough to learn, please shoot me.
I do know that I'm very grateful to the Open Source movement and, particularly, the Kanotix team.
.....Bob (bobdawn).

jbs1136
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.08.2006, 06:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
If can't remember the first color tv that arrived in your town then you are not old! The first telephone I ever used had a crank on the side to call the operator so I could tell her who I wanted to talk to, not a number but a name. If you can't remember back that far then you are young, not old. In math we used a slide rule.

John

mt_deb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.08.2006, 07:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jun 2005
piper hat folgendes geschrieben::
hehe 8 tracks Smilie

BIG GRIN ................

Great thread , I just turned 46 yesterday

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Lachen

http://www.prettynewfaces.com

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.08.2006, 14:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Deb, I'd say congratulations but am afraid you'd go "ewwwwww" again! Smilie. So has the kid gone to college already? That might give you a good excuse to celebrate...

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.