28.03.2024, 08:32 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
michael7
Titel: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.05.2006, 21:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Like many people, I have been interested in the new Xgl graphics and with the release of SUSE 10.1, I decided it was time to try it on a hard disk install. I downloaded the new "Gold Master" using bittorrent (it takes about 6 hours as there are 5 CDs) and burned the iso images to disks. I began the installation this morning.

I have a fast machine. It's an AMD 64 3000+ with 1 gig of RAM. Still, the installation took more than an hour. Eventually I rebooted and had a fresh new SUSE install, which I played with for awhile. It runs a little slow as it's a BIG distro, but it's buffed and polished-- obviously a lot of people have worked very hard on it.

I had no Xgl graphics, however, because my video card is an NVIDIA and a proprietary driver is required. So, I printed a set of instructions from the novell.com website, downloaded the driver from NVIDIA and began the process of installing it. Somewhere along the way, I unfortunately made a mistake and broke my install of SUSE 10.1. I've tried to repair it with no success and I'm sitting here now feeling as if I have wasted half a day.

I love Kanotix. It has almost everything I need (and what it doesn't have, I can download with apt-get), it is nimble and quick and if I break it, I can reinstall it in 10 minutes. Trying other distros only makes me appreciate Kanotix more.

Thank you, Kano.

Michael

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
gs
Titel: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.05.2006, 21:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

yes, Kanotix in my experience cannot be topped.
I, too, downloaded SuSE10.1 for trial. Its still 5 CDs as mentioned above and takes eternity for downloading and CD-burning. After installation - you can do half a dozen Kano-Installs in the time needed for SuSe - there was no Xserver. When I looked at /etc/X11/xorg.conf it was almost empty and I had to copy the xorg.conf from a Suse10-Install to get KDE going. During installation, SuSE overwrote my MBR without asking. The Wlan gadget DLink DWL G122 was not recognized. When I tried to watch TV - DVB-S - there were neither sound nor pictures, but messages, that plugins and codecs where missing.......
Thus: no more playing with Suse.....

eco2geek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.05.2006, 22:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
It was much faster for me to download each ISO from mirrors.kernel.org than to use bittorrent.

Suse install, though it does take a while, much longer than Kanotix, went fine, except it also wrote over my MBR even though I explicitly told it not to. (At least their graphical GRUB is pretty...) The release candidate I tried did the same thing.

The nvidia and Xgl configuration went OK. Only snag I had was, since I had a separate /home partition, I had to delete the old ~/.gconfd/saved_state in order to get it not to run Nautilus over the KDE desktop when starting compiz. (That took a while to figure out.)

In time, the nvidia driver will be available from Suse, packaged in an rpm, as it is on 10.0.

Xgl is still a bit flaky. Sometimes menus and windows aren't visible.

Plus I can't seem to make any changes to its defaults that "stick" -- in other words, I can tell it to change the graphic on the top of the cube, but it doesn't; I can run the Xgl control panel Suse provided, and change the hotkeys, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Perhaps that's because it's running on KDE instead of Gnome.

Roughnecks
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.05.2006, 02:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
well, i downloaded 10.1 too. but only installed it in vmware (so i can not test xgl).
anyway.
mp3 support: no.
installing additional packages: takes years with yast! and the packages are read from an iso file from hard disk, not from actual cd rom drive, and it still takes years to install one package.
beagle desktop search: nice & fast!
interface: nice, shiny, smooth, in short: very impressive

though, it couldn't convince me to give it a try for a real hd install.

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.05.2006, 03:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
michael7 hat folgendes geschrieben::

I had no Xgl graphics, however, because my video card is an NVIDIA and a proprietary driver is required. So, I printed a set of instructions from the novell.com website, downloaded the driver from NVIDIA and began the process of installing it. Somewhere along the way, I unfortunately made a mistake and broke my install of SUSE 10.1. I've tried to repair it with no success and I'm sitting here now feeling as if I have wasted half a day.
Michael

I never could get the nvidia drivers installed. Suse was my first distro to ever try.

There is a 50 or 60 post attempt on linux questions from about two years ago when I did try.

Krogen
Titel: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.05.2006, 00:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jun 2005

michael7 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Like many people, I have been interested in the new Xgl graphics and with the release of SUSE 10.1, I decided it was time to try it on a hard disk install. I downloaded the new "Gold Master" using bittorrent (it takes about 6 hours as there are 5 CDs) and burned the iso images to disks. I began the installation this morning.

I have a fast machine. It's an AMD 64 3000+ with 1 gig of RAM. Still, the installation took more than an hour. Eventually I rebooted and had a fresh new SUSE install, which I played with for awhile. It runs a little slow as it's a BIG distro, but it's buffed and polished-- obviously a lot of people have worked very hard on it.

I love Kanotix. It has almost everything I need (and what it doesn't have, I can download with apt-get), it is nimble and quick and if I break it, I can reinstall it in 10 minutes. Trying other distros only makes me appreciate Kanotix more.

Thank you, Kano.

Michael

I installed it yesterday, too, and wasted 2 hours. I downloaded the mini 50MB CD and ran that. Had some problems with the installation and all, but finally got it to work. Downloading and installing -just- kde took 2 hours. Some rediciolous crap. After the not-so-good installation and a boot up, SUSE froze. Rebooted. Kept freezing.

BTW when you're typing

Thank you, Kano.

Means you are Kano. But when you type

Thank you Kano.

It means you thank Kano. Yes, I'm a jerk lol.

PlatinumPlus
Titel: RE: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2006, 13:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2005
I tried to do a dist-upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 and it failed Traurig

Daniele
Titel: Re: RE: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.05.2006, 11:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2004
PlatinumPlus hat folgendes geschrieben::
I tried to do a dist-upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 and it failed Traurig

Hi PlatinumPlus,

How did you dist-upgrade? With apt for SUSE?

PlatinumPlus
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.05.2006, 13:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2005
I used apt and the repos from 10.1

Daniele
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SUSE 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.05.2006, 14:40 Uhr

PlatinumPlus hat folgendes geschrieben::
I used apt and the repos from 10.1

Hi

I know apt for SUSE very well, and what you tried (dist-upgrading from one version to the next) normally doesn't work. You need the install media for SUSE 10.1 (CDs or DVD)

kb0hae
Titel: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.05.2006, 03:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi guys. I tried 10 or so distros before i found Kanotix. To me, any distro that is not Debian based is a total waste of time. I still check out other distros from time to time, but have found that any non-Debian based distros that I have tried have all had either install or performance problems. I am going to try Damned Small Linux (DSL)on my (ver old) Compaq laptop. Its an Armada 4160T. P166, 48 meg ram, 1.5 gig HD, so I know Kanotix with KDE would be exteremely slow if it worked at all. If DSL works OK, I may delete the Win98 install in the 6 gig drive I am using now in the Laptop. (I can swap hard drives quickly and easily). One of the several reasons I am ggoing to try DSL is that this laptop will not boot from a CD. I need a boot floppy that will allow me to boot from the CD. DSLhas an image for such a boot ffloppy.

Wish I could afford a newer laptop, but I can't right now. Right now I use this laptop to read Gutenburg etexts, play a few games(mostly old Dos stuff) and occasionally surf tge net, so hopefully DSL will work better than win98.

BTW I think I tried an earlier version of SUSE, but it wouldn't complete the install. Didn't like my hardware I guess.

ttyl

Scodge
Titel: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.06.2006, 22:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Dez 2005
At least some of you guys succeeded in installing Suse 10.1.

I have a standard Compaq AMD64 machine, but Suse 10.1 refuses to recognise the hard drive (SATA)! Over the last couple of years I have tried a lot of distros, but every time I come back to Kanotix, because of its fantastic hardware recognition.

Don't know why I bother trying any others really - guess it's just the "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome.

Except it isn't.

Perhaps Fedora Core 5?

hubi
Titel: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.06.2006, 00:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
I used Fedora for quite a long time, but I would not switch back if you do not need something which is Fedora only. I had SuSE, Ubuntu and Kubuntu before, but I am not even tempted to switch.

This here is heaven. I have never experienced so many upgrades with almost no hickup, and those guys here are so fast fixing bugs or finding workarounds, it's incredible. I remember a bug in k3b in FC4 which was not fixed for weeks. This turned me away from Fedora.

SuSE and (K)Ubuntu become stale and old within weeks. Especially when new features are released in an app you use regularily, and you want those features, but upgrading just does not work without almost destroing your installation because of old libs (well, the problem with "stable").

So, Kanotix is incredible. Really. If you do not want the "hassle" with dist-upgrading (i'm addicted to that), within two months or so a new Kanotix is here and you can CD-Upgrade within 15 minutes.

hubi

Daniele
Titel: Re: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.06.2006, 00:05 Uhr

kb0hae hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi guys. I tried 10 or so distros before i found Kanotix. To me, any distro that is not Debian based is a total waste of time. I still check out other distros from time to time, but have found that any non-Debian based distros that I have tried have all had either install or performance problems.

We should not forget, however, that which hardware you have plays an extremely important role. For instance I used to believe that Mandrake was rubbish, but once I replaced my HP laptop for a Sony Vaio desktop, I realized that Mandrake was actually decent.
Similarly SUSE 10.0 wouldn't work (problems with sound and graphics) when I upgraded the sound and graphics cards.
However since yesterday I have a new computer based on an Intel D945GNT motherboard, and SUSE 10.0 works beautifully.
As to Kanotix I have yet to figure out how to enable 3D acceleration for my GMA 950.

kb0hae
Titel: RE: Re: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.06.2006, 00:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi Daniele. Maybe if I change my hardware I will take another look at some of the other distros. However, I see no need to upgrade my motherboard or processor at this time. I like Kanotix, so I doubt I would change unless I found something a LOT better. I consider that to be unlikley, but I do try to keep an open mind.

As to 3d on video cards, that is more of a problem with drivers than with Kanotix.

TTYL

Daniele
Titel: Re: RE: Re: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.06.2006, 00:41 Uhr

kb0hae hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hi Daniele. Maybe if I change my hardware I will take another look at some of the other distros. However, I see no need to upgrade my motherboard or processor at this time. I like Kanotix, so I doubt I would change unless I found something a LOT better. I consider that to be unlikley, but I do try to keep an open mind.

As to 3d on video cards, that is more of a problem with drivers than with Kanotix.

TTYL

Well, in my case I badly wanted a new computer and I chose every single component according to my needs and tastes.
Later I'll buy a Nvidia card and with that I should have zero problems, but for now I want to use the GMA 950.

HK-47
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suse 10.1  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.07.2006, 00:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

i tried SUSE 10.1 too, mainly because of XGL. i didn't notice any slowdown at all after activating XGL, and considering my video card is a lowly GeForce FX5200 with 64MB (and 64-bit) RAM, that's pretty impressive. but my numeric keypad wont work anymore after activating it. and with or without xgl, SUSE is noticeably slower than kanotix in all areas, probably because of the number of services it runs by default, including beagle.

just curious, but is SUSE/SLED's default theme/windeco for GNOME (gilouche) available for KDE? it's beautiful!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.