29.03.2024, 13:31 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JimC
Titel: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 16:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Mar 2005

Has anyone tried Freespire yet (beta has been released)?

On the surface, it looks like it offers some of the benefits of Linspire, without the hassles of using their CNR system if you don't want to.

One of the versions includes a lot of non-free codecs (and it's also my understanding that they have access to some of Microsoft's codec technology from the agreement reached to change their name from Lindows to Linspire a while back).

"Legally supports (or has one-click access to support): MP3, DVD, Windows Media, QuickTime, Java, Flash, Real, ATI drivers, nVidia drivers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, proprietary WiFi drivers, fonts, and so on."

http://www.freespire.org/

Download page for Beta1:

http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Download_Freespire

I just downloaded it and will probably give it a test drive. I've never tried Linspire.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
hubi
Titel: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.07.2006, 17:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Tried to download the image for vmplayer yesterday, but the torrent seemed to be dead, and I could not find a server with the image. So I leave it.

hubi

Mivici
Titel: RE: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.07.2006, 01:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Apr 2006
I had no trouble downloading from:

ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/freespire/

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.07.2006, 02:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
hubi ... do you mean a pre-done image vmplayer or the iso for vmserver?

monkymind
Titel: Re: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.07.2006, 09:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Aug 2004

JimC hat folgendes geschrieben::
Has anyone tried Freespire yet (beta has been released)?

No .. I thought Lindows/Linspire wasn't interested in Linux users!? Weren't they targeting Windows and "non-technical" users only?

Cheers
rob

hubi
Titel: Re: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.07.2006, 09:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Swynndla,
as I understand, a pre-done image for vmplayer. That's what I was looking for, but have a look for yourself:
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/502

Mivici,
I was not looking for an iso.

Greetings,
hubi

spacepenguin
Titel: Re: Anyone try Freespire?  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 18:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
Thanks for the link hubi, I am just downloading it (270 kbs at the moment).

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 19:33 Uhr

I was not impressed (tried it and removed it).

It seemed to try and automate too many things (I never though I'd say that). lol

For example, even though it recognized my wireless cards, dhclient wouldn't work (something seemed to be "stepping in", getting in the way of it grabbing an IP Address from my router).

michael7
Titel: It's SLOOOWWW!  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 20:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
My friend K-Dog is a big fan of Linspire but he's disappointed in how slow it is. Everything is slow-- the boot, most apps and of course, Open Office-- and he has a fast computer, too.

He said that Linspire should use a Kanotix kernel. I gave him a copy of DreamLinux yesterday, which is built on a Kanotix kernel, and he was amazed at fast it runs.

JimC
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 21:01 Uhr

I tried DreamLinux yesterday, too.

I need ndiswrapper to work with one wireless card. Well, ndiswrapper ran OK and I installed the .inf file. ndiswrapper -m ran fine.

But, modprobe ndiswrapper said "Fatal Module ndiswrapper not found"

My second wireless adapter (uses the rt2570 chipset) wouldn't work either (driver not in distro).

So much for getting on the internet (and I can get either one of these adapters to work in a number of other distros).

Just for the heck of it, I tried to install my HP Multi-Function Printer that gives me trouble in some older distors (HP PSC1400).

No luck. Printer driver database is way out of date. It looks about the same way some of the other distros looked last year (and a lot of work apparently went into some distros like Kanotix and SimplyMEPIS to work with newer printers, since this took a while to sort out when I was trying them.

Conclusion:

If I have nothing better to do, I'll try DreamLinux again after their next major release.

I'm not going to spend hours and hours trying to get a wireless adapter and printer working, when they do work in a number of other distros. It's
way behind some of the other distors as far as support for basics like network cards and printers, judging from my brief experience with it yesterday.

Yes, it's fast and "pretty". But, if it won't work with commonly used printers and wireless adapters, it's useless from my perspective.

spacepenguin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 22:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Dez 2004
Linspire, Freespire - the obligatory CNR hints of course are everywhere in all kmenu program groups and blinking in the kicker tray. And they use the old KDE 3.3.2.... What I don't like at all is Linspires way to give known programs other names, e.g. kpoker is video poker (v i d e o ?), thunderbird becomes Lmail. And to reach the applications in kmenu you have to first open an extra submenu like in Windows, IMHO annoying (on my desktop I'm a movement minimalist). Apropos Windows: they use the double click (shudder) by default. Oh and don't forget to create a user account because you log in as root. Though you get a small hint written on the login screen background that you can create other users via the settings menu I guess one tends to forget it because the root desktop looks so "user like".

The design is consistent, login, splash and desktop wallpaper blend seamlessly into each other. But the wide kmenu button (à la kbfx) is going on my nerves, I'm really tired of that design and prefer a simple square button (though I have used kbfx quite a while when it was new). Glad in Kanotix I'm not forced to use that. May the simple square kmenu button and the simple kmenu be kept in KDE 4.

BTW: Nice that the vmware tools are already installed in the image, I tend to have problems with the installation.

DreamLinux: isn't it based on Morphix?

Linux-Userin #213445
LastFM-Musikstatistik für Kanoten
Kanotix, siduction, Kubuntu, antiX

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 23:20 Uhr

@JimC
Sorry you had so much trouble with DreamLinux. I guess I was fortunate in that it worked well with my hardware. It's pretty and fast but it's not Kanotix. DreamLinux is the sizzle, Kanotix is the steak.

@spacepenguin
It's a mixture of Debian, Morphix, and Elive with an xfce desktop, according to their website.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 00:30 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
About Dreamlinux

Dreamlinux is a Brazilian distribution based on Debian, Knoppix and Morphix. A live CD with a graphical hard disk installation option, it boots directly into an XFce desktop which provides access to a good collection of desktop applications and a central control panel for system configuration.

I actually like dreamlinux, a nice little distro, it don't come close to kanotix, but hey, its's fun, different and took my all in one printer (brother) without installing any debs for it, worked out of the box.. Engage works very nice, XGL is just for Nvidia at the moment. Any one try remastering Kanotix with it yet (MKDISTRO). I have to take this leap forward and try to remaster kanotix. I just slimmed down my drive and this one will stay on for awhile along with utopian, alien, wolvix. Smilie

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 20:10 Uhr

piper,

The MKDISTRO application is intriguing. Please keep us advised of your progress.

michael

P.S. I'll be in Buffalo on Sept. 19-20. If you'll be around, I'll buy you a beer and some wings at the Anchor Bar. We can raise a glass to Kano. Sehr glücklich

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.