28.03.2024, 21:44 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
2radical
Titel: T-bird question  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2006, 23:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2005
I wonder if anybody else has noticed this, or whether it's just my box--Thunderbird 5.0.2 on my spanking new Easter install half the time doesn't have the divider line between the body of the message & the top list of messages. As a result, I can't read my messages, (hold off on your sobbing) until I have to click on my account name > read messages, then it reappears with the body of text below. This obviously could be described as a minor annoyance, however, once enough of them pile up, I start looking around for my sledgehammer to beat some sense into this inanimate object, & that can get to be kinda expensive! Is there some kind of magical fix for this I could employ at the all-powerful CLI, or should I just suck it up & add it to my list of annoyances?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: T-bird question  BeitragVerfasst am: 14.07.2006, 23:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

are you referring to the view -> layout -> message pane thing?

Where you can preview your emails?

Not sure the problem you're talking about, there's an extension Folderpane Tools that will let you set the default opening view to whatever folder you want. That works perfectly, mine is set to always open on my Inbox

However, I never use that message pane thing out of habit from windows, never preview a potential virus. Not an issue on linux, but the habit remains, plus on tbird I have html viewing off for all emails, ah, the pleasure of never seeing an html email...

All my accounts share a global inbox by the way, that's much easier to handle long term in my opinion.

But not sure this is the problem you having or not. My pet peeve bug with tbird is that my inbox unread messages count jumps up every time tbird gets latest messages automatically, an annoying glitch which I guess if I really cared enough I could debug.

Unfortunately, I don't think either firefox or thunderbird work quite as well on linux as they do on windows, which is sort of annoying, but just within the limits of tolerable. Extensions however make it worth staying with both for me, although many people here gave up on tbird and went to kmail, which was and is somewhat tempting, except I'm too lazy to set up the standalone antispam stuff for kmail, tbirds just works, so I accept that little bug.

Your's sounds more interesting though.

First off though you should upgrade both firefox and tbird to 1.5.0.4, the latest versions. upgrading shouldn't affect the rest of your system:

but to make sure: apt-get install firefox thunderbird -s

the -s simulates the install, once you determine that yes in fact only tbird and firefox will be installed, go ahead and do the apt-get install, which will upgrade both packages to latest version. Bugs are being fixed all the time on these, so no point in spending any debugging time before going to latest versions.

gardyloo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 00:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Apr 2006

Zitat:
My pet peeve bug with tbird is that my inbox unread messages count jumps up every time tbird gets latest messages automatically, an annoying glitch which I guess if I really cared enough I could debug.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the same problem I was having, but it might be. The way to solve *my* version of the problem is to periodically (maybe once per couple of days; see below) do the File --> Compact Folders command. I'm still not entirely sure what this does at a basic level, but it fixes the repeated download of new messages.
Actually, running that command manually may not be necessary. I have in my Extensions for Thunderbird something called "Xpunge", which you can set to automatically compact the folders, or empty the trash can. It's quite handy!

Hope that helps.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 01:18 Uhr

actually, I had a good idea what caused the issue, so after posting, I tried it: having messages left on the server causes that problem. I switched it to don't leave them on server x days, and the issue went away.

This bug was not reqeatedly downloading the message, at least I don't think it was, it was just not handling communications to the server properly. That bug is only on linux tbird by the way as far as I know.

Definitely a bug, I suspected that was the cause all along, but had been too lazy to test it, that was the cause, it's querying the server for new emails, but isn't correctly handling the new email count once an email is downloaded but not opened, it keeps adding that email count from the server to the local count until you open it officially.

But that's not 2radical's bug, his will require updating his tbird before anything more can be said.

gardyloo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 01:25 Uhr

h2:

Ick. That's a wicked bug. I always leave messages on the server (just to be able to get them easily from other computers), and have never (til yet!) run into the bug. Did it also happen to you for the "never delete messages from server" setting? Using t-bird on linux.
Here's hoping I don't have to deal with that, and that the bug is really resolved for you. Good luck!

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 01:35 Uhr

It's only a cosmetic bug, annoying only because over time the unopened email count magically rises higher and higher. I'd suspected an extension conflict, but it kept happening when I disabled all my extensions.

I can't use the never delete messages setting because on some accounts I get too much email, and I set myself a max email box size on my servers because I don't want to get filled with junk garbage.

I'm not sure why it happens, it's just a dumb little bug that triggers in my particular case. Like most bugs, what it really means is that I'm doing something the main developers don't do, which is have multiple accounts all using the main inbox then leaving email on the server for 7 days. Turn the last feature off and the bug goes away. Since tbirds other features are working really well, especially their spam junk filter, I decided to not worry about it, though I am slightly dissappointed when it's still there on every new release.

Also, to file a bug report I'd have to be running the stock non-debian linux tbird, not the debian one. I actually tried that at one point but when I installed the stock one it wouldn't see my user tbird folder so I stopped and went back to the debian one, I can't mess with my emails like that, too risky.

gardyloo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 01:58 Uhr

Ah. Cosmetic bugs are less dangerous than "real" ones, but I can see how it's a distraction.

I remember when I tried to use my own themes (or others') for KDE (from within the KDE Theme Manager), most things would work, but some would sometimes go inexplicably wrong. Using the official themes, or certain ones from friends would work fine. In the same vein, certain Thunderbird and Firefox themes mess things up for me, even though they're supposed to work on whatever version I'm using. Perhaps -- just PERHAPS -- using a different theme for Thunderbird might work for you. Stranger things have happened (and still make less than no sense to me).

That's all I got. Best of luck Smilie

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 03:23 Uhr

My goodness, I didn't expect much of a response, but I guess the most relevent is for me is to simulate an upgrade of tbird & see what happens. I almost always do a simulated apt-get to see what'll happen for a particular package. Sometimes I can make sense of the output, but most times not, because of the weird naming of files & pkgs. I also usually do an apt-cache show too, but even then, a lot of the time the output is gobbley-gook to me. Who honestly knows what a libxxx file is without looking it up? Or how it may damage a functioning system? After my latest debacles/escapades with upgrading I'm a little gun-shy. Having a mixed-package system is always risky. I DO have backups now, but I'd rather not do that if It's avoidable, hence the reason for my post.

I have messages automatically downloaded to my inbox. I don't get a lot--maybe 1-3 a day & they are from really innocuous sources, (newsletters, reports) so I'm not very paranoid about nasty bits infecting me. I receive almost no spam or junk messages. If I do, I just delete BS that looks even remotely suspect without opening it. (Since I quit Windows, I no longer receive those penis-lengthening adverts)

I only have 2 accounts on tbird--my wife's & mine & so I suspect this may be as you suggest--a cosmetic bug. I never noticed this sort of thing before with a constantly dist-upgraded 2005-04 installation. I'm not interested in applying themes to tbird & am doing only doing selective & careful upgrades. My printing problems were unrepairable (thank you CUPS). I have my tbird view layout set to classic. No customization, etc.

Thanks for the replies!

2radical
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.07.2006, 16:38 Uhr

Upgrading seems to have fixed what was wrong with thunderbird, so I won't have to reach for my sledgehammer after all. Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.