28.03.2024, 19:26 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
kelmo
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 16:34 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 01. Okt 2004
Crap talk like that makes me less keen to work on Kanotix related stuff.

Didn't your mother teach you at a young age:

Zitat:
If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it at all.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ice
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 18:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Feb 2005

mcrofutt hat folgendes geschrieben::
If you're "gonna" have an attitude, AT LEAST spell it right!..

Aptitude rules. Much faster than Synaptic.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
markb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 06:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Aug 2004
ice hat folgendes geschrieben::

Aptitude rules. Much faster than Synaptic.

Aptitude mainly rules due to its automatic dependency tracking and removal.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 13:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Come on people...lets have cool heads here. I don't blame Rossi and I been down this road before when I was new to Linux myself (I been using Linux for 11 years now). He may be angry, but lets all get him to calm down and then help him out.

Sorry for sounding trollish, but we should just be calm...and calm down the person who's angry.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 20:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

rossi, time to slow down. Forget your level of expertise, it is not helping you here, in fact my guess is is that it may be the indirect cause of your problems.

Approach this issue as a newbie, not as someone with a lot of background.

As a newbie, you want to dist-upgrade.

Let's also assume that you have burned the cdrom correctly.

Burning it correctly means that you have done the following:

1. used good quality cdrom blanks, not generic garbage, not computer super store branded stuff. Name brand, taiyo yuden, good tdk, that kind of quality. Kanotix uses a very high compression on its isos, and the errors you get on install can be EXTREMELY subtle. I for example couldn't get reboot to work, but correct reburn fixed all issues. The issues are random, and cannot be predicted.

2. You really did burn the cdroms with Disk At Once. This is newbie mistake number one. Disk at once is not the default setting for nero or for k3b, so you have to manually set that before burning.

3. To be on safe side, burn at 8x

Once this is for certain done, proceed to dist-upgrade matters. If any of these steps was not done, reformat the partition, do the above corectly, then reinstall. Otherwise you're wasting your efforts. Just because it appeared to install correctly doesn't mean it did.

Check forum for safety of dist-upgrade. It is safe today.

Forget trying to catch up to all this stuff, use my dist-ugprade script: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about736.html

It runs best from /usr/local/bin currently.

If you use easter rc 4 or whatever latest is, and if there are no new distupgrade issues, I don't know why you'd have an issue.

When running dist-upgrade, do the following to make absolutely sure you are in the correct space:

1. On boot, as soon as you see grub, type in the number 3
2. hit enter
3. login as root. You are now in runlevel 3

run my script, it will update the kanotix keyrings and all that stuff for you.

Run the dist-upgrade option as many times as is required until it has all packages installed, except for the ones held back, currently I think 1.

continue. Run the xorg fix and font fix just to be on the safe side if you want, xorg shouldn't be necessary in easter rc4 though, since it's already fixed.

multicd fix is required unless that's fixed in sid. Running it however will not harm anything. None of the fixes will harm anything as far as I know.

I run kanotix on every box I can get my hands on and they are all fully dist-upgraded, kernels reasonably upto date. I also do multiple test installs, which are also fully upgraded.

That's why I use the script, it makes it so I don't have to remember all this stuff. The script also automatically updates itself when a new version is available with updated fixes etc.

Try it again. Remember, while you may be an expert in your background, you are not an expert in this one.

Personally I'm not a fan of the reinstall to latest stable version 1 time a year philosophy at all, it's fine for people who don't heavily tweak their installs, but it's not fine for those who do. And sid can handle it, if you approach it with care. Sid is not easy to work with, don't assume it is. For me it would be impossible were it not for the great work of the kanotix team, who generally have du fixes out within 24 hours of the first alert.

But some things will always give problems, wireless networking, printing, that kind of thing. Which is why I dont' use any of them, and I have no issues with the stuff at all. I use a T41 by the way, a great machine.

To anyone criticizing rossi for getting annoyed, don't, it's part of the learning curve, I've gotten really annoyed at this stuff too, but it motivated me to find solutions and learn how to not have issues. Getting annoyed just means you care, as long as it motivates you to move in a constructive direction after the annoyance, that means finding solutions no matter how hard it is to do that.

By the way, your way of quoting is very hard to read, try this:

<<<< stuff you want to quote >>>>

or this, use bbcode, I leave a space between [ and first letter so it doesn't execute

[ quote]stuff you want to quote[ /quote]

Zitat:
like this, stuff you want to quote, always easiest for other posters to read

That's much easier to follow, either way works fine, but leave a space between the quoted stuff and your comments otherwise it's too hard to see what you are saying versus what is being quoted.

But not matter what, you are using debian unstable, and it's not stable. Things change kernel to kernel, upgrade to upgrade, something on my laptop wasn't working, then it starts working, it's interesting. Usually the changes are positive as long as you avoid the more geeky and more poorly supported specialized stuff, toys of various sorts. The simpler you keep it, the more likely you won't have problems. Use nvidia, fewer problems too, or older ati that doesn't require the radeon/glrx drivers.

slh
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 21:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

Additionally it's always good to use the "testcd" cheatcode before installing (on the drive that will be used for installing!), as this will detect bad burns reliably. There are considerations to make that check mandatory for the installer, but it'll add ~5-10 min. on fast systems and half of an eternity on slow ones.

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 21:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

By the way, what happens when you use the "testcd" cheatcode and it fails?
Does it stop everything and give you an error?
I add the testcd cheatcode after the kernel cheatcodes, right?
I guess I've never had a failed burn or I'm using the cheatcode improperly.

-Crust

ceti
12 Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 01:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Jan 2005

h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Forget trying to catch up to all this stuff, use my dist-ugprade script: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about736.html

It runs best from /usr/local/bin currently.

Thank you.
This script saved my day. Great, great... Lachen

bobdawn
Titel: Dist upgrade thanks.  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.08.2006, 12:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Aug 2006
I love that d-u script. Did my desktop a few days ago and my laptop this afternoon. It worked flawlessly both times, including a new kernel on both and the nVidia driver on my desktop. I did the fonts trick on both machines, too.

It's right up there with the Kanotix/Knoppix installation script and I'm eternally grateful to all concerned.

Thanks to all from Bob (bobdawn) on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.